From plasma to OLED and back to plasma...

Interesting, I don't know much about "Nits" or the Samsung Plasma TVs.

My Panasonic TX-P55VT65B is also in a room with a 8 x 7 ft bay window.

I borrowed my brothers-in-law LG Oled, can't say it was that much better regarding the reflections?

The screen was brighter, but I found the whites a little bleached.

My other concern is, I could see "burn-in" at the bottom of the screen . He could see it too, but was waiting to see if I would notice it!

ATM I'm very reluctant to change to Oled.

Judging by your photo, that seems like an older model of OLED - my CX doesn't have the 'LG' logo at the bottom centre of the panel and I don't think the C9 or C8 had that either.

It's important to remember that LG and other manufacturers have implemented various features over the last few generations of OLED TVs including pixel shifting, logo dimming and pixel refresher, which all help mitigate the risk of image retention. And if you're coming from a plasma this is will all be old news to you as that technology suffered from the exact same problem. Presumably, you already know how to use your display sensibly.

In terms of the whites being 'bleached', well you can always adjust the settings or even get your TV calibrated.

I find the anti-reflection coating of the CX to be excellent and far superior to my old plasma, but the acknowledged market leader for anti-reflectivity is Samsung. Indeed the higher brightness of a QLED-LCD will give you a better image in daytime and a much brighter SDR picture than OLED so if those are your key concerns, you know which technology to plump for.

If you want an in-depth comparison between OLED and plasma this video by Vincent Teoh is very useful.

Yes, you're correct, the LG was a 2017 model but still inexcusable to have such a devasting effect from a static imagine and to make things worse Richer Sounds (Cardiff) would not replace it even though it was under a year old.
And if you're coming from a plasma this is will all be old news to you as that technology suffered from the exact same problem. Presumably, you already know how to use your display sensibly.

I wasn't aware Plasma suffered in this way, I may just have been lucky, but I've often watched things with static imagines on, I've also forgot the picture was paused, until it went into standby.

I've often seen a ghosting effect, but it just disappears 😉

I've watched the video and enjoyed it thank you.

It appears Vincent Teoh was quite a fan of Plasma technology, so his views were interesting, I'm not technically minded but what I gleaned from it was, in 1080p there's is not a "big" difference between them and the Plasma gave better representation of lower quality streaming.

Looks like the "big" leap is with 4k 🤔

Given I'm an analytical and curious creature I will book a demonstration after Xmas to view 4k Panasonic Oled and 4k blu-ray player to quench my curiosity.

Thank you for your interest/advice

Cheers

Yes, you're correct, the LG was a 2017 model but still inexcusable to have such a devasting effect from a static imagine and to make things worse Richer Sounds (Cardiff) would not replace it even though it was under a year old.

I wasn't aware Plasma suffered in this way, I may just have been lucky, but I've often watched things with static imagines on, I've also forgot the picture was paused, until it went into standby.

I've often seen a ghosting effect, but it just disappears 😉

I've watched the video and enjoyed it thank you.

It appears Vincent Teoh was quite a fan of Plasma technology, so his views were interesting, I'm not technically minded but what I gleaned from it was, in 1080p there's is not a "big" difference between them and the Plasma gave better representation of lower quality streaming.

Given I'm an analytical and curious creature I will book a demonstration after Xmas to view 4k Panasonic Oled and 4k blu-ray player to quench my curiosity.

Thank you for your interest/advice

Cheers

So you are now contemplating to coming out of the cave, man? :laugh:

In-store demos must be taken with a pinch a salt. If you got anyone living nearby with an OLED give it a try.

I still have my 50" Pioneer plasma LX5090 in the play room. I use it with my Switch sometimes as both are 1080p. The buzzing is annoying after the near silence of the OLED. As 4K (and higher) is the future I wouldn't go back to my 1080p plasma. Though to be fair it has had a lot of use, would need recalibrating and is 13 years old!

I've been a Pioneer plasma owner since 2003. Current version is a Kuro. I'll be making the jump at some near point in the future to a Panasonic JZ OLED screen. I've been wrestling with the decision for a while. But ultimately I realised the following points. And the below thought process solidified things for me.

1. In my opinion, [pick your favourite OLED] playing top quality 4K HDR material on an OLED obliterates anything I've ever seen from my plasmas

2. I originally bought Pioneer plasma to see the very best of what TV has to offer i.e. the pinnacle. And ultimately that same principle applies equally to me today

3. Anyone with any vague knowledge of Photoshop and image editing knows the following. When you move away from 1:1 pixel mapping and then physically expand and/or upscale a lower resolution to a larger size, then the perceived image quality will take a hit for the worse

4. When I bought my first plasma there wasn't much HD material around. So I was playing SD content for the most part, at much bigger screen size that a CRT, and the resulting image quality wasn't as good as, say, a Panasonic GAOO CRT of the time. But it was bigger and flat and I liked that. When more HD content came along the CRT never figured again in the image quality competition

5. This is more technical and a theory I have - and it relates to viewing SD/HD content on an OLED vs a plasma. Anyhow, my theory is that the dot fizz of plasma masks some of the limitations in image quality of SD and 720p material i.e. a kind of an unintentional physical dithering on the plasma screen. Whereas the OLED has no such dot fizz thing going on so there is no unintentional perceived image enhancement of lower quality content.

So some might ask, therefore, why I haven't considered buying an OLED much earlier than now? The answer to that is a matter of degree rather than an absolute. I'm particularly sensitive to poor near black performance and the colour accuracy of the earliest OLEDs looked like Disney's cartoon department had done the colour grading - even for the 4K HDR stuff. Oh yes - and the cost.

But now looking at the latest Panasonic OLEDs (especially JZ series) then I don't see any reason for criticism anymore. Especially when considering the above natural/physics limitation points of going to bigger screens, and upscaling non-native content, fear of which would still have me chained to watching a premium 21" CRT and no possibility of watching the latest formats.

The latest LG C1 even crosses the finishing line now, barely, but by personal preference the Panasonic fits my eye better. When the price comes down a little more then I'm buying.

Last edited:
1. In my opinion, [pick your favourite OLED] playing top quality 4K HDR material on an OLED obliterates anything I've ever seen from my plasmas
Wow! That's a big statement to make, and an intriguing one coming from a Pioneer Plasma owner.

I can relate to much of your experience, I have also wanted the best that I could afford but also looking at the longevity of the product .

I've got 2 Panasonic Plasmas (use to have 3 but I gave one away) before that I had A Sony Wega 32" Trinitron . I had absolutely no interest in LCD apart from the size and weight. I was extremely interested in Plasma Technology, but it was out of my budget.

CRT had an amazing production lifespan from it's first introduction over 100 years ago, I think?

I waited until the new technology "OLED" was introduced and then purchased the Panasonic plasmas, I paid £70 for the ST50 and £ 240 for the ZT55 .

At that time of purchase 1080p was king and like you I was critical of the OLEDs blacks / colour / whites, but also sensitive to input lag or Pixel response time? which I though was poor on the LG Oled.

I am happy with my Panasonic Plamsa Tv ATM, but still interested in how much better is 4K is,

In-store demos must be taken with a pinch a salt. If you got anyone living nearby with an OLED give it a try.
Thinking about it you are probably right; I don't think a store demonstration would be any use to me.

I borrowed my brother-in-law's LG OLed but was underwhelmed, but of course this was viewing standard TV pictures and 1080p Blu-ray discs. Perhaps an unfair comparison not to use 4k source.

Also, I need to decide if I want to replace my large collection of Blu-Ray 1080p with 4k ?

I need a new Blu-ray player but have been struggling to find a standard 1080P one.

I am at a crossroads ? if I'm led to believe 4k is superior in every way? I guess it would be time to take the plunge.

Thanks all once again for your interest and forgive me for the hi-jacking of this thread😊

I’ll throw my hat into the ring. My first HDTV ever was a 42 inch plasma from Panasonic (don’t know the model right offhand. That was of course like 12 years ago now. Anyway even though we upgraded to LED over the years and I did enjoy the brightness increase, the plasma always looked more natural to my eyes.

I moved out into my own place and decided it was time to buy myself a 4K tv. I bit the bullet on the Sony A80J and the picture blows me away. I feel like I’m watching my old plasma but everything is better about it, from weight and thickness to picture and brightness. The motion in sports is incredible and the upscaling is amazing to my eyes.

Personally I couldn’t imagine ever going back to plasma. Although I will say If you look hard enough on 4K Blu-ray you will see slight stutter on panning shots.
I would be really interested to dig out my old plasma from the attic and put them side by side

You don't say screen size and viewing distance and HD or 4K. Was it calibrated or did you set it up yourself? Any problems with lip sync? It does get good reviews and the 55 is £1299... How c;lose are you?

1080p is much better on my c1 77 vs my kuro 50" because of the screen size. In fact the upscaling is so good I sometimes have to double check if I'm watching HD or UHD. If I could just magnify the kuro screen to the same size though it would be a close run thing picture quality wise although for a sc fi fan like me the true pitch blacks of the oled take things like The Expanse to a whole new level. I do use some motion smoothing on a low setting to make the motion look a bit more plasma-like.

When you start going down to lower res / bitrate content things get ugly fast on the c1 though. The kuro is still peerless for tarting up content of dubious quality. Dont think I'd be able to bear SD broadcast TV on the c1 but then I dont intend to watch any so all good.

My advice to die hard plasma fans is make sure you can move fully over to HD content before ditching your old set.

1080!

and I don’t understand the second part of your question. I am sorry
Hi I hope I don't sound to picky but is that 1080i or P

Secondly, I was just agreeing with your comments regarding "stutter" I notice this more on Oled than I do on my plasma- actually I don't notice it on my Plasma.

Hi I hope I don't sound to picky but is that 1080i or P

Secondly, I was just agreeing with your comments regarding "stutter" I notice this more on Oled than I do on my plasma- actually I don't notice it on my Plasma.
1080p

I've decided to stick with my Plasma for the foreseeable after viewing a few Oleds ,albeit it was at the shops.
What do you have and how old is it?

I'm keeping everything crossed that my 2010 LG plasma lasts another year or so until I move home

By the way, watching/listening to my old 50”Panasonic plasma GT50 last night in our southern home, I became aware that the sound was actually BETTER from it than my new Sony A90J 65”. Despite the all-speaker glass front and advertised subwoofer, etc., etc., my little old Panny plasma sounded…well, sorta-kinda okay…compared to the new Uber-thin panels.

I got a really nice Panasonic tx-p50vt20b for almost nothing the other day shame I have a CX in my room or would have put it in my bedroom.
the next day Samsung ps42q97hd but it's defo not as sharp a picture but seems brighter than my CX.

By the way, watching/listening to my old 50”Panasonic plasma GT50 last night in our southern home, I became aware that the sound was actually BETTER from it than my new Sony A90J 65”. Despite the all-speaker glass front and advertised subwoofer, etc., etc., my little old Panny plasma sounded…well, sorta-kinda okay…compared to the new Uber-thin panels.
All TV's unilaterally sound terrible, IMO of course. All of my Panasonic plasmas sound crap, my new Panasonic OLED sounds more bassy but crap.

All TV's unilaterally sound terrible, IMO of course. All of my Panasonic plasmas sound crap, my new Panasonic OLED sounds more bassy but crap.
Ya know, you are mostly r i g h t !! BUT I guess that I am talking levels of “crappiness” then (to use your verbiage). My new A90J 65” was SUPPOSE to “sound wonderfully full” with the screen-speaker innovation. Talk about 1962 transistor radio-ish. Okay, I exaggerate. But pity the sap that buys a $3800 msrp 65” and then sits and has to LISTEN to THAT sound in combo with such a glorious video presentation !

Ya know, you are mostly r i g h t !! BUT I guess that I am talking levels of “crappiness” then (to use your verbiage). My new A90J 65” was SUPPOSE to “sound wonderfully full” with the screen-speaker innovation. Talk about 1962 transistor radio-ish. Okay, I exaggerate. But pity the sap that buys a $3800 msrp 65” and then sits and has to LISTEN to THAT sound in combo with such a glorious video presentation !
I haven’t heard the Sony but I do have Phillips 935 and jz 2000 and I wouldn’t call them crap but here’s a thing they look beautiful my naim av2 or linn system sound amazing but looked crap
I’m very pleased with the TVs audio coming from extremely high end systems I think that’s a compliment indeed I tried about 5 soundbars and non sounded as good as my vifa Copenhagen 2 not even the 935

My Panasonic plasma is 5.5" deep at the base to house the 30 watt down-firing speakers. They are by far the best of any flat panel (well, relatively flat!). But the sound of the speakers on the 65" C1 OLED isn't awful.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom