From plasma to OLED and back to plasma...

I was reluctant to give up my Panasonic plasma, but after 15 years it was time. I don't think the OLED picture is better except for the true blacks, but at least the screen is bigger, and the connection standards are updated.
I can't get rid of my old plasma even for $80.

I was reluctant to give up my Panasonic plasma, but after 15 years it was time. I don't think the OLED picture is better except for the true blacks, but at least the screen is bigger, and the connection standards are updated.
I can't get rid of my old plasma even for $80.
I still have the Panasonic 65VT30 but also my Sony KDL-55XBR45 and Sony Wega KV-HR36M31.
Just can't let go. lol

I can't personally let go of my plasma although I have been sorely tempted by OLED. I watch a lot of sports and I really cannot get used to the motion of sample and hold technology. I do see that Vincent Teoh says that OLED has now surpassed plasma in motion but it must be what I'm used to as I can't see anything but stutter. I really hope that they resolve this somehow before too much longer because I'm not sure how much longer my Panasonic can hold out.
I had plasmas for several years but got a 55" Philips OLED805 last April when my Panny plasma died. I can say that I have no problem watching sports, and I watch a lot of football, GP F1 and tennis. The upscaling is so good to 2160p that I've forgotten that much of what I watch is in HD or lower. Mind you I did a major upgrade with an all-new 5.2 system, a Marantz NR1711 AV receiver, a Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray player and speaker cables, expensive but how else to experience HDR, UHD and Dolby Atmos.

I've had an LG 60PH6700 for nearly 9 years now and I'm having a hard time stepping away from it. I know a new OLED will generally be better (I'm thinking about getting a Sony A80J), but this LG plasma has been a beast. I think something to point out is that the 4K setup will make video games look immensely better than the plasmas, while movies and TV I can hardly tell a difference. I'm a hardcore gamer as well as movie watcher, so it's a tough choice for me. In the end, I think I'm going to hang on to the plasma as it's been such a great TV, but also grab a new OLED for gaming. I only have 13000 hours logged into it as well, and I read that these can last between 75,000-100,000 hours! Has anyone had any experience with the Sony A80J? I'm also considering the LG C1, but the Sony has better picture quality in my experience.

I've had an LG 60PH6700 for nearly 9 years now and I'm having a hard time stepping away from it. I know a new OLED will generally be better (I'm thinking about getting a Sony A80J), but this LG plasma has been a beast. I think something to point out is that the 4K setup will make video games look immensely better than the plasmas, while movies and TV I can hardly tell a difference. I'm a hardcore gamer as well as movie watcher, so it's a tough choice for me. In the end, I think I'm going to hang on to the plasma as it's been such a great TV, but also grab a new OLED for gaming. I only have 13000 hours logged into it as well, and I read that these can last between 75,000-100,000 hours! Has anyone had any experience with the Sony A80J? I'm also considering the LG C1, but the Sony has better picture quality in my experience.
Actually plasma screens do deteriorate over time as the plasma cells wear out. I recall that they generally mentioned 15.000 hours as the optimal lifespan. The Panasonic plasmas came in for some criticism on CNET's review site at one time when they discovered that their plasmas are pre-programmed to gradually adjust the cell bias current to compensate over the lifespan, at the cost of a gradual slight loss of contrast ratio. Sort of like the fuss over Apple reducing the performance of iPhones as the battery capacity deteriorates over the lifespan.

Thanks for your response. That's interesting regarding the comparison to Apple products -- I'm acutely experienced with how Apple pre-programs their products to start degrading after a few years. I made the plunge to a Sony A80J just a few hours ago as Amazon has them for the lowest price I've seen yet. I'm sure I'll be pleased!

Last edited:
I just in the last couple of weeks swapped from plasma to OLED, I'm fairly certain you'll see a difference in movies vs your plasma, the first time I saw a 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) blu ray I was stunned at how good it looked but even SDR blu ray looked a lot better than my plasma.

That's great to hear! I'm definitely attracted to the OLEDs because of my experience with my plasma. Both movies and video games look better than LCD and LED, but that's just my preference. I checked out the QLEDs but they seem so intensely bright that I was getting dizzy looking at them.

Yeah I'm not sure who these people are that need more brightness than OLED. With the luminance level any higher than 50 I feel like I'm getting a tan. It's very bright, especially coming from plasma. HDR elements on screen light the room up!

I can't personally let go of my plasma although I have been sorely tempted by OLED. I watch a lot of sports and I really cannot get used to the motion of sample and hold technology. I do see that Vincent Teoh says that OLED has now surpassed plasma in motion but it must be what I'm used to as I can't see anything but stutter. I really hope that they resolve this somehow before too much longer because I'm not sure how much longer my Panasonic can hold out.
Perhaps "Vincent Teoh" just can't see it ?.....I can only agree with you regarding "motion" , the other issue "I" have, is the whites, I just find them to bright?..

Actually plasma screens do deteriorate over time as the plasma cells wear out. I recall that they generally mentioned 15.000 hours as the optimal lifespan. The Panasonic plasmas came in for some criticism on CNET's review site at one time when they discovered that their plasmas are pre-programmed to gradually adjust the cell bias current to compensate over the lifespan, at the cost of a gradual slight loss of contrast ratio. Sort of like the fuss over Apple reducing the performance of iPhones as the battery capacity deteriorates over the lifespan.
I thought my 10 year old plasma was failing, turns out I needed a new pair of glasses ;))

I used to have a plasma in a bright living room, and it was unwatchable in the daytime
Personally, I don't find it any worse than other TVs that I've seen. Here's a picture of my Plasma in a very bright room.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 144
Personally, I don't find it any worse than other TVs that I've seen. Here's a picture of my Plasma in a very bright room.
Our front window is unusually large - well over 2.5m wide if I remember the measurements when we had it replaced a few years ago.

I really notice the difference between our LG CX (which can hit SDR peak of something like 300 nits) and our old Samsung plasma, which I guess would maxxed out at 100 nits. But even the OLED struggles unless we adjust the window blinds. Luckily most of our viewing is in the evening.

This thread should be relocated to Plasma sub-forum.

Interesting, I don't know much about "Nits" or the Samsung Plasma TVs.

My Panasonic TX-P55VT65B is also in a room with a 8 x 7 ft bay window.

I borrowed my brothers-in-law LG Oled, can't say it was that much better regarding the reflections?

The screen was brighter, but I found the whites a little bleached.

My other concern is, I could see "burn-in" at the bottom of the screen . He could see it too, but was waiting to see if I would notice it!

ATM I'm very reluctant to change to Oled.

Attachments

• 20181206_132925.jpg
    20181206_132925.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 20181206_132841.jpg
    20181206_132841.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 124
This thread should be relocated to Plasma sub-forum.
I think this particular thread is more for people thinking about updating from plasma to the popular LG OLED and wondering what the pros and cons are.

Interesting, I don't know much about "Nits" or the Samsung Plasma TVs.

My Panasonic TX-P55VT65B is also in a room with a 8 x 7 ft bay window.

I borrowed my brothers-in-law LG Oled, can't say it was that much better regarding the reflections?

The screen was brighter, but I found the whites a little bleached.

My other concern is, I could see "burn-in" at the bottom of the screen . He could see it too, but was waiting to see if I would notice it!

ATM I'm very reluctant to change to Oled.

Don’t change then ! I kept my Panasonic VT10 for over eleven years. It is a 12 year old model. Still going. Love it. But it is 50” and I wanted more “impact.” So I went Sony A90J 65”. Love it too. But it is apples to oranges. Some trade off. Plasma (at times) does 720p BETTER. Not a lot, but some…sometimes . And Sony does upconversion BEST. 1080p and OLED beats plasma..and then, well, 4K is drop-dead gorgeous. And your plasma is getting darker and will die someday ! Love ‘em both

I think this particular thread is more for people thinking about updating from plasma to the popular LG OLED and wondering what the pros and cons are.

Most know the pros and cons. The hardcore Plasma fanboys appear to be stuck in the cave (btw ex-owner of 3 top of the line Plasmas here). Hope they see the light at the end of the tunnel soon :)

I appreciate what you are saying. I'm actually satisfied with the Plasma picture but I do feel some pressure due to the fact I need a new Blu-Ray Playing, the only ones I can see for sale are 4k . My TV is 1080p .

I hope I'm not "high-jacking" this thread? should I be opening a new one.

Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom