• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

From Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5Ghz to Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHZ worth it ?

lombard1

Established Member
Is it really worth it, cause the 720 triple core flies thru games and windows, just do gaming and general windows stuff. no editing , encoding videos etc.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5
4GB DDR 2 1066
SSD Extreme Corsiar 64GB
Western Digital 500GB Black Edition
ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5
Windows 7 32bit

Runs all games max settings, i get 100FPS average on Resident Evil 5 on Max Setting with 22inch , 1680 x 1050 res, would it be worth it to go to a AMD Phenom II X4 955 ?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 293381

No - stick with what you've got.

They are both AM3 and have similar specs, the 955 is slightly faster but power rating is much higher - TDP = 125W. The 920 TDP = 95W which is much better.

Arther

Standard Member
I've learnt from a tom's hardware article that there is little if any performance gains from 3 cores to 4 (depending on the task) unless you're multitasking. However in the future, software developers will develop their software to take more advantage of the forth core (and the remaining 3 of course). For now though, if you're happy with your machine and it's speed then there's little point in wasting your money on a new processor for an extra core.

Tom's Hardware - Part 2: How Many CPU Cores Do You Need?

jdmoyers

Established Member
I've got the 955, very good chip. But agree with the others, it's probably best to hold on for a bit until you will see more of a benefit from the other cores - will likely drop in price a fair bit too.

beaniator

Established Member
hi :)
i went from a amd 6400+ dual core to a phenom 955 and didnt notice much difference,keep what you got like others have said

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom