From PC to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by magiles, Jun 18, 2004.

1. magiles

magiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolute Beginner
    I have edited a short film in Videowave 4 and I want to burn it onto a
    DVD.
    Can anyone explain what I need to do now?
    I have got Record Now software with my SONY DVD burner and I tried
    burning the file to a DVD but it wont play.
    Do I need something like NERO 6 to convert the file to a format that
    will play on my DVD player.
    Also someone mentioned DVD Shrink - does this convert files to a format that
    plays on my DVD player as this is free.

If someone can explain the process I would be very grateful

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you have edited DV .avi files that you have captured to your PC you are going to have to do a bit further work.

The basic file format for DVD is MPEG-2. You are going to need to encode your files to this format & these files then need to be authored. DVD specs are very specific & the authoring process gives you the DVD navigation & makes sure that the files are laid out to DVD spec.

The prices of authoring programs vary from freeware to software costing tens of thousands of pounds.

A good place to look for free, cheap software & lots of advice on the processes required is www.dvdrhelp.com

(RecordNow is a good burning (not authoring) program & DVDShrink is good for shrinking or re-authoring large projects so that they will fit on a DVD-R disc)