From old M&K single sub to newer dual SVS 1000 or higher end single sub?

jason1wood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
In the next month I'm going to be looking to get new sub/s and upgrading my M&K Sound VX-1250sfx

My issue is that I live in an old converted Chapel apartment with open plan 3 floors, live on my own so volume isn't an issue, but can't get pressurisation at all so fitted a couple of transducers to my sofa.

Question really is what to go for. Budget about£1300-£1500 but would prefer to keep at lower end.

I only do movies on system so would want ported. Don't listen at reference level, maybe about -15db peak.
Used a spl for my speakers but tried REW for subs and didn't have a clue what I was doing, so going by ear is really my option at the moment

So can get SVS PB1000pro dual, or would I be better off going for a higher end like arendal single etc. Have noticed a couple of decent single subs in classifieds within budget, or would you all go dual?

How large room you have and the total space with openings to get better idea?

Do you have "free hands" deciding where the sub(s) can go for best results?

Could you buy Umik-1 and do some measurements there first with REW?

There's a couple of Arendal Sub3's in the Classifieds. They can be run sealed or ported so certainly worth a look as you could possibly get both of them within your budget.

How large room you have and the total space with openings to get better idea?

Do you have "free hands" deciding where the sub(s) can go for best results?

Could you buy Umik-1 and do some measurements there first with REW?

Tried rew with UMIK and was clueless with it so I'd say no to that.

9m wide, 8m wide 9m high, its a weird shape as old converted Chapel apartment with open staircase running from lol 0 up to lol 2.

Positioning and size not an issue at all. Would love to go massive. 🤣

There's a couple of Arendal Sub3's in the Classifieds. They can be run sealed or ported so certainly worth a look as you could possibly get both of them within your budget.
Too far away for pickup and over budget unfortunately but wasn't sure if a Sub 3 would be better than dual pb1000 pros

Tried rew with UMIK and was clueless with it so I'd say no to that.

9m wide, 8m wide 9m high, its a weird shape as old converted Chapel apartment with open staircase running from lol 0 up to lol 2.

Positioning and size not an issue at all. Would love to go massive. 🤣

Massive space! 🥺

There is new Monolith 13" THX introduced which could mean the 15 THX goes on sale. The price is 1400£ using American Audio Club code (AVForums advertiser).

This model has basically similar performance to SVS PB4000 and Arendal 2V which cost ~2250£.

You won´t find better bang for buck! Same 5year warranty and as good if not better build quality to SVS/Arendal.

Have had my eye on a Monolith. Look great and will do a bit more reading on them.
Thanks for your advice. 👌

Too far away for pickup and over budget unfortunately but wasn't sure if a Sub 3 would be better than dual pb1000 pros

Shame, was thinking more along the lines of dual Sub3's rather than just a single one.

Given the room size/volume you have then the Monolith @Gasp3621 has mentioned is definitely worth a look.

Maybe dual Monolith 12's could also be a possibility if the price is right?

You can also get two PC2000 which has identical performance to PB2000. These are the old range, but they do come with larger cab volume and more powerfull amplification than on PB1000 Pro so you get more deep bass output at least.

These are refurb models from SVS with full warranty and in mint shape (up to this date they have been). AVO is AVF advertiser aswell.

To make this deal sweater when you add these two to basket and join the VIP (free) you will get further -10% discount from Warehouse deals.

Maybe dual Monolith 12's could also be a possibility if the price is right?

Sadly the pricing on these is too high atm. I remember the days when they went crazy low like 500-600£. Those guys who bought them were so lucky! This model is comparable to PB2000 Pro at 999£.

@AmericanAudio any chance for better dual deals for these?

Sadly the pricing on these is too high atm. I remember the days when they went crazy low like 500-600£. Those guys who bought them were so lucky! This model is comparable to PB2000 Pro at 999£.

@AmericanAudio any chance for better dual deals for these?
Yeah remember those days haha
I'm liking the idea of a 15" but would you say for my size room, one 15" would be better than 2x 1000pros?

I understand comparisons, are difficult without room measurements with rew etc, but don't want to make a mistake haha

Do you still have Umik-1 cause we have moderator who may be able to help you @Conrad if you ask nicely and perhaps buy him box of chocolate. The basic sweeps should be easy to take. Would be so good to have some information if you could get decent response with one sub at least for one seating. Then Mono 15 no doubt or wait until the new 13THX comes as it uses same cab but double the power (2000w / 3800w+). There must be good reason they have selected beefier smaller driver. Introduced few days ago so more information is coming soon.

Do you still have Umik-1 cause we have moderator who may be able to help you @Conrad if you ask nicely and perhaps buy him box of chocolate. The basic sweeps should be easy to take. Would be so good to have some information if you could get decent response with one sub at least for one seating. Then Mono 15 no doubt or wait until the new 13THX comes as it uses same cab but double the power (2000w / 3800w+). There must be good reason they have selected beefier smaller driver. Introduced few days ago so more information is coming soon.

Good advice. Will get another Umik and will persevere with it, with my existing setup, try to get some form of graph going. Maybe didn't do that as knew my place has LOTS of issues haha 👌

I ended up getting a pair of PB2000 Pro from the classifieds and picking up next weekend.

Been getting my head around Rew and purchased a MiniDSP 2x4hd

Will set up the SVS and then have a go see if the sealed can be integrated with 2 ported as no joy selling my M&K

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom