From Newbie to Newbee

As mentioned in another thread, DOTA now has a much better tutorial, and you can learn for hours and hours playing all the characters against bots, so you at least have some understanding of the game before you plunge into a match proper.

As for commentary, Tobiwan is just supurb:

Sinzer

It is a shame really, as the final series was actually the one of the worst series in the Tournament this year.

The game has been a little over-balanced in favour of the early push, with the team in the lead at ten-fifteen minutes already being in the base. Turnarounds are a lot harder currently.

It is great that it got so much exposure and the The International, as a whole had some amazing plays and games, however, the final games were a little anti-climatic.

It is worth nothing that the finals were broadcast on ESPN2 in the US, hence the hefty increase in production values this year.

Still Valve are simply going from strength to strength, I think if you had asked anyone 4 years ago, if they would turn a little known Warcraft III custom map, into the largest e-sport game ever, no one would have believed them. What is even more amazing, is that Valve have done it through the community, even covering their own costs. A lot of the top ten teams in DOTA2 are earning 6 figure numbers in the game, without even the TI money involved. Amazing.

James Thomas

Cheers, @Theydon Bois. We've started playing against Bots in the office now at lunch to try and figure things out. Seems like a terrifying learning curve given the sheer quantity of characters and I've already learned that I need to read up on them before even considering picking them.
Chose one of the ones Newbee used in the final and a few minutes later was quitting because I just didn't have the understanding let alone the talent to play it.

And, yeah, @Sinzer, a few people have said that since. Going to try and dig out a few of the better earlier rounds and see how they compare.

Cheers, @Theydon Bois. We've started playing against Bots in the office now at lunch to try and figure things out. Seems like a terrifying learning curve given the sheer quantity of characters and I've already learned that I need to read up on them before even considering picking them.
Chose one of the ones Newbee used in the final and a few minutes later was quitting because I just didn't have the understanding let alone the talent to play it.

And, yeah, @Sinzer, a few people have said that since. Going to try and dig out a few of the better earlier rounds and see how they compare.
This may be a little out of date, but has some good info. Ignore the 'you suck' part of it, Purge has loads of videos to help people and is also a commentator at DOTA events, so its not derogitory.

Welcome to Dota, You Suck | Purge Gamers

As for learning curve, totally. Its almost vertical, and some players have zero tolerance for new players - Baptism by fire though! :D

Loads more info in the DOTA thread as well.

Dota 2 [Inc Key requests and Invites] | AVForums

Sinzer

There is just too much to this game to cover it in a post or two. I am 1400 games in, plus probably nearly 1000 in Heroes of Newerth, which was a clone of DOTA1. I am an average player, sometimes above average at best, sometimes goddamn awful at worst.

I would say after all those games, I am at a point, where I know what each hero can do and how they combine basically together in lanes. I know what counters what. However, I am still surprised often enough, by something I haven't thought of.

Here is also a good news spot for completely new players and gamers interested, surprisingly by Fox:

WATCH: The best DOTA 2 players battle it out at Key Arena | Q13 FOX News

The best quote is:

"There is no point of mastery.. ever"

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom