1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Loft To Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by xavier71, Jul 10, 2005.

1. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Decided to transform my dirty spider ridden loft into a dedicated home cinema in the way of a dorma loft conversion.I know by reading some of the posts from you guys that there are already some veterans out there that have ventured out in this direction. Should be getting plans tommorow then if they are ok will be sending them into the council for approval.
    I would appreciate any advise at all to do with a loft, construction advise, sound proofing when to interupt the builder so i can get my own things done at the right time etc etc...
    I have also recently started to build my own website www.homecinema-world.co.ukand i have decided to put on a link for "my loft project" on there so if you fancy checking out some time feel free. (not much on it at the moment but once the work starts i will be updating all the time).

Also i would like some suggestions on an av receiver and speaker pack too.

cheers.

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    xavier

Good luck :thumbsup:

3. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good luck,

Looking forwards to some pics showing the progress

4. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cheers vileda, just got draft plans today, a few adjustments and everything looks to be good so far. :smashin: :smashin:

5. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    and you Kenny, cheers i think imight need it.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I'm sure you will be fine :smashin:

Dont forget to post some pics when it gets started.

7. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i hope so inzaman, its gonna take a while before any work can actually start though apparently the council here can take up to 4 weeks to ok the plans, Nevermind its worth waiting for, i will definately been posting pics when it starts and i will be giving detailed progress reports of all the ups and downs on my website along with all the pics.

Cheers.

8. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had half a mind to do the same thing, what sort of sound proofing are you thinking of putting in?

9. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    at the moment i've not really gone into any depth about soundproofing my loft
    but intially i have gone for 25mm chip board flooring and for the walls i will be using quilted rockwool with some underlay boards which claim to reduce sound by 29db's along with foil backed 9mm plaster board, all this could change though and i will let you know.

10. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    spoke to my plans fella yesterday and he told me that after speaking to the local council plans depot they didnt all agree that i dont need plans and he said that i could go ahead without plans but at the same time i would be risking another plans officer coming and telling me to take the whole lot down,
    he then told me that there is another way which is to use what they call a green form, what it is you do a sketch of your plans and the immediate area outside your property and then submit it to them, if it comes back as the majority have said i dont need plans then i can go ahead with the conversion and nobody can do any thing about it, but if it comes back that i do need them then i have to put the plans in but it doesnt take as long. the green form takes about 2 weeks and then if i need plans another 2 weeks at the most.

so thats where i am up to at the moment, seems like its taking for ever, just want to get on with it, also i will probably be doing quite a bit of the work myself now to get the cost down even more. i will get the joiner to do the floor and the stairs with my help then i will do the rest until the dorma is to be constructed where i will have to get him back, also he can do all the skimming on the walls and roof, theres no way i trust myself to do that to a good standard.

the green form is to go in this week, fingers crossed.

11. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    01/09/2005

It's taken a while but finally today i got to know wether i need Planning Permission or not, and thankfully it's good news, i dont need it.

Spoken to Dave (the architect) this morning who informed me of the good news, and i should be getting the finale plans on Monday hopefully.

We also discussed what options i have with respect to building regulations, i can either apply for full regulations,where it would be another four or five weeks before any work could start, but Dave would deal with everything as my agent, which would probably be the easier option, or i can apply for a Building Notice which is the faster route and work can start within 48hrs of applying, however this way i would have to deal with everything myself, which i dont see as a problem really as i will have Dave at the other end of the phone anyway. So i have decided to apply for the Building Notice so that work can start as soon as possible.

There is a difference between full and notice regulations with regards to payment method aswell, the full regulations method requires two payments, one at the beginning and one further into the project which is a good thing i suppose. The building notice method requires one full payment at the beginning of the project which also isn't a problem really because at the end of the day you have to pay the same amount which ever method you choose.

So things are finally starting to happen, i can now get my builder round to discuss money and timelines amongst other things, also when i get the final plans from Dave i can ring the company that is making my staircase and give them the measurements as they have told me it will take about two weeks for them to make it. In the meantime my builder can get on with putting the new floor in and preparing the entrance point for the new staircase.

Website has been updated also: Marks website :thumbsup:

12. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice setup!

13. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cheers corvettez06

14. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    another twist already, spoke to my builder yesterday and he told me that he cant start work until the beginning of October, so i have now decided to apply for the full building regulations which will take about 4 weeks which is when my builder can start anyway, also that takes the potential stressfull situation with the building regs people of my hands and into my architects so its probably a blessing in disguise (i hpoe).

15. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    builder now tells me that he cant start until october 24, another month to wait then. apart from a couple of minor adjustments to the materials to be used the plans have passed building regs and i can go ahead when the builder is ready.

16. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    thats builders for you always add a month to there start times LOL

17. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yeah! i know what you mean, the problem is his wifes baby is due aswell so there could be even more dramas to follow.

18. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    job has now been put back another week, now starts on monday 31 oct, also the building inspector has now decided that he wants me to put a steel I beam in the floor to support the staircase entrance, but things are close now.

19. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well things have at last started on my loft, just about everything was delivered at half seven this morning, tad anoying really seen as i was on nights and diddent get to bed till about 6, but concidering i have waited so long i wasnt that bothered. Anyway things have now started for real and the building inspector came round this morn also and by all accounts seems to be a pretty decent fella, at the mo anyway.
    website has been updated up to yesterday and more will follow, www.homecinema-world.co.uk, you will have to copy and paste as this is a quick reply, i will be updating with some pics when i get the chance too.

20. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ok you wont need to copy and paste.

21. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Its the end of week one and the floor is almost fully fitted with joists, couldn't get it finished before the weekend like my builder wanted to because we couldnt get the measurements for the staircase entrance in time, and when we did get them it was to late, my builder did stay for an hour and a half longer than usual but i told him to get off home. There has been a couple of dramas along the way with the floor because when the builder broke out of the bottom row of the roof tiles to get the joists in place he found that the actual wall plate as in the top of the outside wall was lower than the cielings, so he had to use an 8"x3" joist with a 4"x2" on top of that to get the correct hieght for the floor joists to sit on, and he had to use pad stones underneath the steel "I" beam to spread the weight.

Anyway things are on the move now, i started to put chicken wire in between the joists today for the rockwool insulation to go on but could only do half because the rest isnt ready yet, my builder is going to finish the floor on Monday and then get on with making a hole for the staircase entrance and then i will finish the chicken wire and then put the rockwool in when i get home from work.

Just a few details to let you know whats happening, its been crap wether all week too, rain every day so we were like yo-yos up and down covering up then uncovering the roof again, i've gone into more detail on my website (Marks Website) if you want to have a look, some pics too.

I wont harp on all night but heres a few pics.

cant believe this can some one tell me how to insert pics

22. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    rain rain rain, had a few already but this morning i woke up to the top of my sons window leaking so i've had to get up there strip back the canopy and stuff it all up with the old insulation that was down, sods law innit its rained all week and now its weekend and my builder is off its sunny, hey ho never mind. im getting my builder to leave a gap between the original wall and the studwork for the new walls that are going in, about 3" or 4" it will be, i am under the impression that an air gap is a good place to start and then address the stud walls later with something.

23. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    layed the new electric ring main for the loft last night, bought some new speaker wire and put that in aswell, i ended up buying QED Silver Anniversary XT, its in and routed so that if i ever do decide to upgrade then its easy enough to replace, not 100% sure on which speakers yet, dont want to go on about them to much as it is not the right forum for it, anyhow i am looking at M35i-M32i-M31i-M3c2i all mission, without a sub initially due to funds at the mo, waiting to see what the full cost of the dorma conversion will be.

24. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    its been awhile i know but things have been happening and theres quite a difference now, the dorma its self is pretty much done so the outside apart from the tiles is just about complete, the floor inside except a couple of boards is finished, i have done nearly all the laying of the electrics and will be getting a sparky to connect it all when the time is right. So been quite busy at it really and now i am full of cold.
    I do apologise for not posting pics but i promise i will do in the near future, for now though if you want to take a peek at my website you will see some updates on there along with some new AV kit purchases, after reading these forums i have gone for the BK sub in the shape of an XLS200 in light oak, should be here in a couple of weeks hopefully. Anyway gonna get off for now, check out my website!

25. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    few pics of the dorma:

Attached Files:

26. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    those are just a few pics of the dorma construction from the breakout to the shell done and insulation puy in, more will follow.

27. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    That is some serious work that is being carried out there xavier, hope it is all going to plan.

28. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yeah it feels pretty serious too inzaman with the state of the rest of the house and with what the wether has been like in blackpool....coooold!
    there has been a few little set backs which has added about a week up to now but nothing to drastic im glad to say, hope everything goes ok the stairs are here this week so i am keeping my fingers crossed.

29. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cant believe it having a nightmare with the stairs, they were delivered today and when the building inspector measured them they were not according to the regulations so he had to tell me that i cant use them.
    i must of told the people who built them a 1000 times what the regs were and he told me not to worry cos they build them to regs all year round, anyway there not so i am just waiting on a phone call tomorrow to see what they are gonna do about it, if they wont rectify them then i will get my cash back.
    been looking at spiral stairs today aswel as an option but at the moment the extra cost doesnt justify the small amount of space that would be gained so at the mo i am sticking with traditional stairs.
    oh yeah and theres the time factor too, this is all putting more time on the build and xmas is only just round the corner.....AAAAARGH!!!

30. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Keep your head up mate, it will all come good................
    very soon......... :smashin: