• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

From Jail to Jihad - Panorama BBC1 Now

robel

Anybody else watching this freak show?

Foebane72

I saw that Panorama, I found it particularly offensive. When the guy said that the extremists want Britain to become an Islamic Sharia country, I got particularly angry. I don't really mind religion as long as they don't force it on non-believers, but they're doing just that!

In fact, the first time I met Muslims in my first job in IT support in SE England, they tried to convert me. No kidding. I still remember my fellow non-believers looking at me and shaking their heads no.

robel

The thing i found most concerning was that convicted criminals, ex drug users and dealers, alcoholics etc were now trying to tell people how they should conduct their lives.

What qualifications does one need to fit the recruitment criteria?

The weak are clearly being preyed on.

Last edited:

alan280170

Distinguished Member
The thing i found most concerning was that convicted criminals, ex drug users and dealers, alcoholics etc were now trying to tell people how they should conduct their lives.

What qualifications does one need to fit the recruitment criteria?

To be a zealous nutter maybe?

Exemplar

Banned
SOME people might say that all religion is the preserve of a few people inflicting their will on the masses.. Take churches and cathedrals, are they there to serve 'god' or are the buildings there to subjugate the masses by saying 'look at my huge building, look at your hut'.

SOME might say religion is the preserve of paedophiles (I'm blanketing all Religions there so as not to offend anyone in particular...).

Personally I think that these jihadists are mostly people with a screw loose and there are plenty of those in any religion (be that following their false idol or a football team).

Should the UK be a secular country?

robel

SOME people might say that all religion is the preserve of a few people inflicting their will on the masses.. Take churches and cathedrals, are they there to serve 'god' or are the buildings there to subjugate the masses by saying 'look at my huge building, look at your hut'.

SOME might say religion is the preserve of paedophiles (I'm blanketing all Religions there so as not to offend anyone in particular...).

Personally I think that these jihadists are mostly people with a screw loose and there are plenty of those in any religion (be that following their false idol or a football team).

Should the UK be a secular country?

How would you ensure that? Ban religion?

Exemplar

Banned
How would you ensure that? Ban religion?
That's for the greater powers to decide, not me! However as we have a practicing church goer in charge of the country I don't think it would happen any time soon...

robel

I am curious as to why the above verse you quoted wasnt put to these people in Panorama, last night., It would have been very interesting to hear their response!

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
I am curious as to why the above verse you quoted wasnt put to these people in Panorama, last night., It would have been very interesting to hear their response!

I've no idea, I didn't watch it. It happens in all religions, but I would agree it happens a lot more in Islam (conversions, not proselytising).

I imagine a large part of why certain demographics in prison choose to convert to Islam is as a pseudo-replacement for gang culture, a sense of brotherhood, or seeing Islam as anti-establishment in some way.

You have to admit, that as Islam essentially provides guidance/stricture on all aspects of daily life, it's probably not that bad a religion for some to convert to, otherwise they would be out of prison and repeating the same behaviour that put them in there. For the newly zealous, coming out of prison and then following strict guidelines on how to eat, dress, clean, pray etc it probably doesn't give them much time to fall back in with the old crowd and reoffend. (http://www.ispu.org/pdfs/ISPU_Report_Prison_SpearIt_WEB.pdf)

BUT, the evidence doesn't agree with me (Muslims in prison: over-representation and under-reformation | openDemocracy

robel

I've no idea, I didn't watch it. It happens in all religions, but I would agree it happens a lot more in Islam (conversions, not proselytising).

I imagine a large part of why certain demographics in prison choose to convert to Islam is as a pseudo-replacement for gang culture, a sense of brotherhood, or seeing Islam as anti-establishment in some way.

You have to admit, that as Islam essentially provides guidance/stricture on all aspects of daily life, it's probably not that bad a religion for some to convert to, otherwise they would be out of prison and repeating the same behaviour that put them in there. For the newly zealous, coming out of prison and then following strict guidelines on how to eat, dress, clean, pray etc it probably doesn't give them much time to fall back in with the old crowd and reoffend. (http://www.ispu.org/pdfs/ISPU_Report_Prison_SpearIt_WEB.pdf)

BUT, the evidence doesn't agree with me (Muslims in prison: over-representation and under-reformation | openDemocracy

As said earlier the weak minded are being preyed on, being told what to do and how to do it without question.

liamt

Distinguished Member

religion in prison is popular as it gets you out your cell on a sunday. usually a day you are banged up for 23 hours. i wonder if there are any further advantages to being a muslim prisoner?

religion in prison is popular as it gets you out your cell on a sunday. usually a day you are banged up for 23 hours. i wonder if there are any further advantages to being a muslim prisoner?

You get to peddle your drivel on a licence payer funded programme to a huge audience ??

Lee

I started watching it but turned it off when the narrator said that one of the men meeting the guy at the prison had been convicted of terror related offenses

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
What did we think of the English chap who converted to Islam, I struggled not to switch him off, I have no words for that individual

robel

What did we think of the English chap who converted to Islam, I struggled not to switch him off, I have no words for that individual

A weak minded convicted criminal....

I just laugh at people like that. I worked last year with a white muslim convert who was a right eejit and was know as the Ayotollah. He used to zero in on me because I was ex forces and throw out taunts in the tea shack. Everyone just ignored him, he always used to go off on rants especially when the tea break bacon rolls were being eaten. One day though I was sitting in the tea shack with a packet of Quorn mince i had borrowed from the galley, I made sure I arrived just before his usual time. He walked in and said "What on earth are you reading a packet of Quorn mince for ??" .. I just looked up and said "Well you're always harping on about how good a read it is, your right mate, very informative. Bit of a struggle for me with my dyslexia though. Look there's a coupon here for Buy one get 72 Virgins free !!"

He left me alone after that.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom