• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

From Freeview to Freesat Question!

Shaggy04

Standard Member
Hi All,

Im new here as you can see and also new to sat. Ill try and explain... We had freeview in our upstairs bedroom and virgin media cable in our lounge which worked ok for us untill the wind took our freeview ariel for flying lessons. I have looked at getting a new ariel and cable but it will cost a fair bit, so I have decided to look into freesat for our bedroom, we already have a sat that we used years ago pointing at a sky sat? I have plugged the cable in through a window as a temp measure into bedroom and into the old sky+ box and i get ch 1-5 n some other rubbish.

My question is, if i get a cheap (£25) freesat box from argos for example will i get the same old freeview channels like dave/e4? Whats my best option?

Also is there any cheap freesat box you could reccommend for me? Id like to get it before the weekend! Otherwise the partner will take control of the lounge! :(

Thanks

:lease:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
A Freesat box will get exactly the same channels as a Sky box without a card will get. Dave isn't free on satellite - it is a subscription channel, part of Sky's Variety Mix. If you put a Freesatfromsky card into the Sky box, you'll get a handful of extra channels that a Freesat box can't give you - Fiver, FiveUS, Sky 3, Liverpool FC TV, Viva...

So, if you don't like the "rubbish" which the Sky box gives you for free from your satellite dish, there's not much point in going down the Freesat route at all.

BTW - Freesat gives you approx 200 free channels. Freeview gives you approx 80 free channels.

Shaggy04

Standard Member
Thanks for being so quick.

Ok so I am best off i think keeping my sky+ box, buying a card for £25 and somehow trying to hide all the channels i dont have on the epg. I cant seem to find where to buy online for the card, guess ill ring up after work.
Shame about Dave but e4 is more important for the girlfriend.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Thanks for being so quick.

Ok so I am best off i think keeping my sky+ box, buying a card for £25 and somehow trying to hide all the channels i dont have on the epg. I cant seem to find where to buy online for the card, guess ill ring up after work.
Shame about Dave but e4 is more important for the girlfriend.

You might not need a card. An expired Sky card will do for now.

You will have trouble trying to hide the subscription channels. Sky don't make it easy! The best you can do is edit the list of Favourites.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
You might not need a card. An expired Sky card will do for now.

His Sky digibox hasn't been used in years. Which means he probably doesn't have the white viewing card from last year. Any old blue cards will not pick up the FTV channels any longer.

Shaggy04

Standard Member
Yeah mine was a blue one, I did swap it for a white one that was last used by a friend 2 or 3 months ago but its just coming up with a different error. Rather than saying "ring sky" it says something along the lines of "wrong card". I dont get e4 with either :( So looks like I do have to buy it, but meh for £25 i think thats fair enough.

edit: Good idea about the favorites list ;) cheers

Last edited:

logiciel

Shaggy04

Standard Member
The full details of the three ways of getting free satellite TV were waiting for you above in AVF's fixed thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1307423-free-satellite-freesatfromsky-freesat.html

Sorry Logiciel, but still thanks to all who helped. I think they gave me a bit more info to my questions. My fault for being new/not looking around the forum enough.

Im getting into freesat now :) Even thinking about putting another cable from the dish into my computer room and getting a card for my pc so can record and watch hiding from the girlfriend and kids :D

logiciel

That's OK, and it's only meant as a starter - questions in addition are always welcome.
I'll have to check up on what we left out of it though!
Freesat is actually the trading name of the organisation that provides the special EPG for some channels.
What you're getting into is better thought of as free satellite, or specifically FreeSatFromSky.

Shaggy04

Standard Member
Well I rang FreeSatFromSky after trying to order online and I have been told you are no longer able to purchase the cards. You "HAVE" to buy the £175 deal. After about 40minutes on the phone they told me somebody would have to ring me back tomorrow. Getting very tempted to just move the cable into my computer room with a satellite card in it? Then buy VM multi room for another £5/month for the bedroom! (sorry I know the last part is for another part of the forum) Will look around the forum in the morning for others views on vm multi room. Thanks again :smashin:

logiciel

Their current FAQ http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/#3 says: "I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?
All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £25."
It sounds like you got one of their worse staff on his or her bad day.

Last edited:

logiciel

That's OK and thanks for letting us know.
It will be useful to other posters to know it can be done.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom