From Freesat to Freeview.Connections??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cslogg, Jan 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. cslogg

cslogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping someone on here can help me.I am in the middle of changing from Freesat to Freeview and have a couple of queries.I have a DVD/amp/tuner etc with speakers for playing my discs,a skybox and plasma tv.While removing the skybox and leads I came across a yellow jack plug which leads from the back of my amp and into a scart plug on the back of my TV.This scart plug had no lead but three holes (red/white/yellow)Any idea what purpose this served?
    Also what is the best way top get the freeview signal to other TVs in the house?With my Sky connection I ran a couple of co-axle cables from a booster box that was also connected to my TV.This does not seem to work with Freeview.

Thanks
    cslogg

2. jondy1

jondy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the yellow cable will be the video and red and white audio, you should get freeview coming through if you have daisy linked the freeview box into the sky box if there is no rf loopthrough on your freeview box then it cant be done:)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    The cable you describe is a composite video cable. The "SCART plug" is an adaptor. A means of getting composite video out of a SCART socket on one device and into a composite video socket on another.

(It may be easier to "see" if you know that a SCART is just a connector, not a type of signal; a "convenient" way of connecting several cables, typically carrying audio and video signals of one type or another, using one multi-pinned plug at each end of a multi-cored cable).

As for getting Freeview to other TVs - it can be done, in any one of several ways:

- a Freeview box with an onboard UHF modulator (this is what Sky has to enable you to do what you do). These are rare.
    - a separate UHF modulator. Actually an old VCR will do this job and may well be cheaper to obtain than a dedicated device.
    - a video sender. (This is a cordless device to carry video around the house; transmitter near your Freeview box; receiver/s near the TVs in other rooms. Good ones can carry remote control, signals back to the Freeview box).
    ------Note------all of the above will give you THE SAME Freeview programme on every TV at the same time. One Freeview box; one programme.

or

- more Freeview boxes, one for each TV, or better still, new, integrated TVs. But note that all boxes/TVs will need their own good aerial signal; you may need to add a multi-way splitter/booster (ideally mounted high, near the aerial, or in the loft.

4. cslogg

cslogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now removed all Sky items as well as the yellow cable to scart plug connection.Freeview is working fine and the sound is through my TV.I used to be able to play the Audio from Sky through my amp/dvd player to utilise my five speakers when ever I wanted to.Is there a way to connect up so I can achieve this with Freeview?.As for getting the signal to other rooms I.my main TV has an integrated Freeview box and I have just ordered a Humax PVR.Will this make things any easier?

Thanks so far.
    cslogg

5. jondy1

jondy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry to mislead you cslogg, lv426 is right to point out you could use the modulater in your vcr if you have one and of course you could buy a video sender, i have done this with a vcr years ago and believe me it wasnt a great solution and i would not at this time want to put an old vcr back into my cabinet just to use the modulater on it, a video sender would be dearer than buying a new box which defeats the object, there are plenty of freeview boxes out there with a modulater http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/cl/229...rt=5&price_min=&a_3163=DVB-T&saved_products=0 take your pick

6. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Also check here for boxes with an RF modulator and there are really very few

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewboxes.php

It is, of course, possible to buy a separate RF modulator but the audio is only mono and the picture quality from any RF isn't the best

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    Depends on the Freeview STB, but most will have a pair of RCA/phono plugs to output the audio to an amp. You may also have a digital coax or optical output that you may be able to use if your surround sound system has these inputs.

Mark.