From Echostar > Foxsat HDR. Few questions/gripes.

melonhead

Standard Member
I’ve just replaced my 1 LNB Motorised Echostar AD3000IP setup which has served me well, but it’s now a time for change for PVR and a speedier receiver.

Having purchased the HDR a few days ago and installing the latest Raydon software. I’ve got a few questions:

1. The EchoStar was motor driven and at the receiver it had electrical wires going into it, no doubt to control the motor. As there are no places to plug these into the HDR – what do I need to do to re-enable a motorised dish setup?
2. Any issues with connecting an Octo Sky LNB to replace the 1 LNB which will serve 2x HDRs with future proofing in mind? I’m guessing this will be fine.

For 1 of the HDR’s I have already configured it in non freesat mode pointing to Turksat 42”.

1. However, how do I record a future program event i.e. a few hours away/next day etc. I can’t seem to figure it out, the EPG guide is no good (no channel info being broadcast) and I can’t find any manual recording scheduling option to do it.
2. I’ve switched to freesat mode (copied the channels over using the channel editor) but the same problem remains, and what’s worse is that for some reason I can’t even record anything when viewing using freesat mode, but can pause, rewind etc where as on the non-freesat mode I can record.

Other gripes:

1. It takes a while to boot…
2. The channel sorting is really bad, I know you can press the ‘I’ button, but why can’t you choose to have it permanently sorted, bad coding if you ask me.
3. Having read a few threads I can’t believe how a simple thing such as adding favourites cannot be done in non freesat mode– I know it’s a non freesat box but that’s got to be bad coding…. I’ve used Raydon and Co channel editor but that’s really limited, I hope they update it so that you can channel sort etc. The echostar had a 3rd party app called ad3000edit which did the job fab.
4. The front LCD appears to be washed out, I’d have thought you’d only see the channel name but the whole thing is lit which is bright, not sure if its faulty?

I truly hope there will be ways round the above otherwise I’ve bought the wrong receiver for my needs. Happy to reset/etc if required. Cheers.

Thanks for your help.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
A motor is controlled by a variation of the diseqc command system. There's no wiring other than the coax cabling. The Foxsat is not the best box to use with a motor. Enabling USALS turns it into a single tuner only recording machine when used in non-freesat mode. It's OK with multiple lnb's and diseqc though.

There's a option at the end of the scheduled events page to set timers for non freesat channels. You also need to set the box to boot after housekeeeping (I use a daily 10 min watch reservation). The non freesat recording schedule is removed by housekeeping and restored at the first boot.

Any channels you add that aren't on the Freesat epg with any postcode will stop Freesat recordings until the recording is complete.

melonhead

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, what do I have at the moment to control the motor? The wires that came out from the Echostar are definitely electrical wiring.

I still can't find the scheduling... pressing the guide button in non freesat mode (schedule button doesn’t work) I’ve gone right to the end/start etc, if you are lucky enough to have any information for a channel in the guide you can’t also record from there...

Looks like all my moved channels I moved to freesat (via web channel editor) have been moved back to non freesat.

this was meant to be all but simple.. :(

REPASSAC

Looks like all my moved channels I moved to freesat (via web channel editor) have been moved back to non freesat.

I could understand if the moved channels were deleted (If you either don't have version 4.0.7 or you have retuned your non freesat channels since the first boot today) but not moved back.

Manual recordings of moved channels are set on the web interface.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for the reply, what do I have at the moment to control the motor? The wires that came out from the Echostar are definitely electrical wiring.

I still can't find the scheduling... pressing the guide button in non freesat mode (schedule button doesn’t work) I’ve gone right to the end/start etc, if you are lucky enough to have any information for a channel in the guide you can’t also record from there...

Sounds like you have a very old motor (36V perhaps). Not really suitable for a modern box.

You set up non-freesat recording reservations using a web browser not on the Foxsat.

melonhead

Standard Member
I could understand if the moved channels were deleted (If you either don't have version 4.0.7 or you have retuned your non freesat channels since the first boot today) but not moved back.

Manual recordings of moved channels are set on the web interface.

I have 4.0.7 installed. I can't tune into freesat at the moment as I need to upgrade the motor or go for a dual lnb setup, the latter looking more likely now. Its currently tuned to turksat. I moved over the channels to benefit from the freesat settings but i don't see any yet.

I thought 4.0.7 was meant to look after all changes automatically...

Okay thanks for the web tip, to be 100% if I’m in non freesat mode, can you record via some sort of scheduler on the box or is that also via the browser?

Also in non freesat mode can you watch iplayer?

melonhead

Standard Member
Sounds like you have a very old motor (36V perhaps). Not really suitable for a modern box.

You set up non-freesat recording reservations using a web browser not on the Foxsat.

Thanks for confirming, it's over 12-15 years old if I'm correct, but still working :)

I think i'll stick to a dual LNB setup. I'll take some pictures of the dish etc before jumping in, as I've jumped in with this HDR and it's not quite what I needed (more non freesat) :(

I'll have a look later at the web scheduling.

melonhead

Standard Member
Just done a rescan also of all my non freesat channels, some are not there, looks like some transponders may have also been affected for some reason.. any ideas? Everything went well with the Raydon installation.

Need to pop out will be back in a few hours. Thanks all.

REPASSAC

I thought 4.0.7 was meant to look after all changes automatically...
It does. You did save your changes and see the confirmation message at the end of the save and then reboot? If not what browser/Version are your using?
Which packages do you have installed?

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member

Sorry totally incorrect - DiSEqC motors are only suitable for dishes up to 90cm/1 meter depending on the weight of the dish. 36V motors are absolutely necessary for larger dishes and are still being manufactured and are far more robust and reliable than DiSEqC motors. Although most modern receivers cannot directly control such a motor it is simple using a "V box" to convert DiSEqC signals to the correct format - V Box satellite dish posioner, Satellite Superstore UK, converts diseqc 1.2 to 4 wire control. V Box Mk3 with handset. Big discounts.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I truly hope there will be ways round the above otherwise I’ve bought the wrong receiver for my needs. Happy to reset/etc if required. Cheers.

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest the HDR is not really suitable for your needs - it would help to know what satellites you wish to view. The HDR is primarily a freesat box designed for 28 East and has a limited capability of use on other satellites - virtually all your gripes are limitations of the box because of its intended purpose (for freesat on 28E it is an excellent box) I would suggest you look at my reply in the DS frum.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member

What you require is a V box as posted in post #10 - absolutely no need to replace your existing motor which is almost certainly more robust and reliable than a DiSEqC motor. What size is your present dish - essential info for type of motor required?

logiciel

I've bought the wrong receiver for my needs
Unfortunately that's what you have done.
The machine is meant for what it says on the box - Freesat.
That's basically nothing but the EPG that some broadcasters with free channels on 28E pay to be on.
If that was all you wanted the machine would be fine.
If you wanted that and a few extras it would still be fine.
For receiving from all the satellites that are accissible with your motor system you need something like the one you had before.
You'll get plenty of ideas here of what that should be, as we each have our own experiences and preferences, but you can't go wrong with post #10.

melonhead

Standard Member
I have a habit of jumping into things without actually thinking about it and then regretting it. It’s not like I don’t know the questions to ask beforehand either!!!

It’s an 80cm 1 LNB Motorised Gregorian Dish, which we bought many moons ago attached to an Echostar AD3000IP & its primary use was for Turksat & back then jumping between satellites ;) can take some pic’s if required.

This one is meant to replace our SKY box and be primarily for Turksat channels with full recording capabilities of a twin tuner. My folks are elderly and they need to use the box (turksat) with ease so nothing to complex. That’s why I need the favourites and the channel sorting to work. The younger folk on turksat also want the ability to record 2x channels and schedule whatever they want to watch as a future event.

So in terms of reducing further costs and making good out of a bad situation. I’d like to view freesat & turksat only.

Options:
1. Keep the sky box,this one is multi-room so £10 & only use the pvr for turksat. Though I’ve got the channel sorting/favourites issue. At worst I’ll be happy with this as long as the sorting/favourites is resolved somehow…
2. Sell the box & buy another 2x tuner (pvr) suited for the FTA market.
3. Buy a vbox satellite positioner to enable the dish to move and recieve freesat.
4. Install a dual LNB setup is this possible?

melonhead

Standard Member
It does. You did save your changes and see the confirmation message at the end of the save and then reboot? If not what browser/Version are your using?
Which packages do you have installed?

Only the webserver nothing else. It didn't reboot but it saved. I.e 10 or could have been chrome both win8.

REPASSAC

Only the webserver nothing else. It didn't reboot but it saved. I.e 10 or could have been chrome both win8.
you have to reboot yourself! I,E 10 - see you are running the Windows 8 Beta - IE10 has not been tested as yet - will try it in the morning.

melonhead

Standard Member
you have to reboot yourself! I,E 10 - see you are running the Windows 8 Beta - IE10 has not been tested as yet - will try it in the morning.

Weird… I just logged into the HDR via the webgui and gone to the channel editor. It appears the channels I've lost appear to be in it, but when getting the list of channels on the foxsat via the remote I can't see them….

All channels are under non freesat default, visable default.

-----------
Update = I've just changed one of the channel settings to non freesat, non freesat but every channel is now a duplicate. Can I blitz the channel list by logging into the receiver?

I'm going to delete all the channels from the receiver by selecting all then delete and then will check the channel editor again to see it has any entries and get back to you.

Update = all channels now deleted & switched off box. Box switched on "notice appears on foxsat" no channels are currently available. press OK to search for channels.

Gone back into the channel editor (refreshed) and all the channels are still there... :(

I'm lost :thumbsdow

-----------
Update = Not sure where the channel editor is retrieving its list from. I did an import data from foxsat and that cleared the channel list. I then re-tuned using the non freesat mode, got some channels, but not all of them. Went back into the channel editor, did an import data from foxsat and the newly scanned channels appeared. Then I edited to move them to freesat mode - rebooted via the web gui, and on freesat mode I now get on the foxsat "no channels are currently available". press OK to search for channels.

If no one has any suggestions I think I'll do a reset :( Off to bed!

Last edited:

REPASSAC

I'm going to delete all the channels from the receiver by selecting all then delete and then will check the channel editor again to see it has any entries and get back to you.

Update = all channels now deleted & switched off box. Box switched on "notice appears on foxsat" no channels are currently available. press OK to search for channels.

Gone back into the channel editor (refreshed) and all the channels are still there... :(

I'm lost :thumbsdow
I don't know that anyone tested a no channels situation - rather illogical.
Need to wait until the dual boot PC with IE10 beta is available to test IE10's script handling.
For the moment I would suggest that you remove and reinstall the channel editor (to reset the .hdf's) after setting up (on the Foxsat UI) your non-freesat channels and also doing a freesat tune.

I suspect it is down to IE10 script handling - Will come back to you on this - I rather think the save channel script is failing but not the import script.

REPASSAC

You should see the saving message and finally a confirmation that the .hdf (update file) has been generated. The screen should then repaint and you should see the reboot message at the top of the screen. I tested on my win10 install (clean install) and all went normally. (Thankfully).

I think that some of your problems were created when you emptied the channel list on the Foxsat and imported it - an unexpected situation. The way to reset all would have been to do a freesat and non freesat tune on the Foxsat and in the web interface to "clear all updates" and the "import from Foxsat".

melonhead

Standard Member
I don't know that anyone tested a no channels situation - rather illogical.
Need to wait until the dual boot PC with IE10 beta is available to test IE10's script handling.
For the moment I would suggest that you remove and reinstall the channel editor (to reset the .hdf's) after setting up (on the Foxsat UI) your non-freesat channels and also doing a freesat tune.

I suspect it is down to IE10 script handling - Will come back to you on this - I rather think the save channel script is failing but not the import script.

I did that because each time I connected to the foxsat via the webgui/channel editor the channel list did not reflect the changes I made on the foxsat. I had thought that a fresh connection/updated refreshed page via the channel editor would up date the list, which it didn't - I guess that's why you have the import data option...

melonhead

Standard Member
You should see the saving message and finally a confirmation that the .hdf (update file) has been generated. The screen should then repaint and you should see the reboot message at the top of the screen. I tested on my win10 install (clean install) and all went normally. (Thankfully).

I think that some of your problems were created when you emptied the channel list on the Foxsat and imported it - an unexpected situation. The way to reset all would have been to do a freesat and non freesat tune on the Foxsat and in the web interface to "clear all updates" and the "import from Foxsat".

Thanks for bearing with me on this issue.

I just powered on the foxsat and it appears its done a self reset. It's come up with the getting started wizard. Before I attempt to do anything further shall I reset it back to factory defaults, if so do I need to remove the raydon software? Luckily I have a sky box under it so can tune into freesat again if required.

melonhead

Standard Member
Didn't do a factory default reset. Hooked it up to freesat, configured it, scanned channels etc. Leads unplugged, put in turksat cable and the loop through cable, now scanning the turksat channels under non freesat mode. Hopefully the channels will stick tomorrow morning. Won't modify anything just yet.

logiciel

logiciel

I have a sky box under it so can tune into freesat again if required.
I took that to mean that you could receive Freesat on a Sky machine.
I know what you mean but newcomers to Sky/FS/FSFS might not understand.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution