From Dust (spiritual successor to Populous)

@ Bleem - That's the last level I completed. Trial & Error for about 2hrs!!
I managed to stop the nearest springs above the totem using evapourate then building a dam above the area, on top of the springs.

The thing is, that's not even the hard bit!......

Just for info, the steam price has been announced. £11.99

Pre-purchase From Dust on Steam

So the XBLA release works out a fair bit cheaper if you're purchasing your points via a card online(as I think most people would).

1200 points works out around £8.52 if you've purchased 2100 points at £15(the average).

Finally got around to playing this last night, it was early hours when I played it so pretty leathered to be fair, but didn't really grab me as I thought it might and like most I found the camera irritating, should have been similar to Darwinia.

Might give it another bash later but doubt it'll be a full price purchase, maybe deal of the week.

I started off really liking this game but I'm finding the timer on each level is getting annoying.

Gave this a go last night to see what all the hype was about - and as a big fan of Populous.

Really unimpressed though. The effects are nice enough and I guess it gets more complex later on, but the demo has left me in no doubt to avoid this.

The timed levels just grate against the ethos of a 'god game' - I know god created the earth in 7 days, but this is ridiculous. Just puts a rush on the game and the mechanics arent strong enough to withstand rushing around.

Picking up earth from one place and dumping it somewhere else isnt fun.

Shame as they have the basis of a good engine there for a better game.

I have to say the more I play the more I like.

First few levels flew by and I was getting slightly annoyed that I'd reached level 5 after only an hour or two's worth of play time. But the last few 'worlds' have taken me at least 3 or 4 attempts to work out, particularly Raging Earth which was annoying but a great sense of achievement once you work out what is going on.

Really am loving it - I hope they bring out some DLC soon.

Oh, and some DLC for Defense Grid would be nice too :)

Hmmm played the demo of this it hasn potential but didnt really sell me, anyone whose got it, how complicated does it get and how long is the whole game, is there much replay value?

Hmmm played the demo of this it hasn potential but didnt really sell me, anyone whose got it, how complicated does it get and how long is the whole game, is there much replay value?

I finished every level first time through, though I think I got lucky with a couple. It only took me about 5 hours to do, but there are challenges too which would take a few hours.

Gave this a go last night to see what all the hype was about - and as a big fan of Populous.

Really unimpressed though. The effects are nice enough and I guess it gets more complex later on, but the demo has left me in no doubt to avoid this.

The timed levels just grate against the ethos of a 'god game' - I know god created the earth in 7 days, but this is ridiculous. Just puts a rush on the game and the mechanics arent strong enough to withstand rushing around.

Picking up earth from one place and dumping it somewhere else isnt fun.

Shame as they have the basis of a good engine there for a better game.

They arent timed...the timer is until whatever disaster hits. I've spent hours on a few levels just messing around with the environment and just proofing the place to cope with disasters

BTW Bleem...those areas people cant walk through...you can just suck them up

My only probs with this is I want it to look more real....I want more wildlife, I want birds, I want fish, I want more than just giant slug things... I want to see the tribes hunting and gathering, animals hunting etc etc etc like a real eco-system

I feel detached from the tribe....seeing them live their lives would make me more engaged

I see this is reduced to 800 points this week.

Very mixed comments post-release but what's the final consensus now? Worth a go at 800?

Defo..I love it, bargain at 1200 IMHO let alone anything less

I'd say it was worth a punt at 800.

I was a little disappointed with it - but perhaps only because I was looking forward to it so much!

Don't get me wrong, the game mechanics are brilliant but I felt the gameplay was a little lacking and relied on luck a little too much of the time. Certainly a good framework for any proposed sequel or perhaps a Populous remake using similar tech.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom