• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

From AVR350 to AV9 as a pre-pro?

Jaunty

My AVR350 is serving me well. Until recently is was pulling amp duties for my rears, but now I have Bryston PP-60s for those it is acting as a pre-pro only. I have been looking at second hand AV888s, but £2500 is a lot of change when I am still enjoying my 350. There is a new Rotel RSP 1572 pre-pro I am interested in reviews on, but I like the Arcam sound and it has just occurred to me the AV9 may be a great stop gap upgrade?

I have searched and an an old thread here gives me lots of info:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arcam-products/756561-avr350-av9.html

The cost to change should be around £350, so even if it was for just another 2 years use it would be ok. I'm not interested in 3D, Apple takes care of my streaming, radio is via my Tivo, & HD sound comes via my Oppo blu ray. Basically I hope the AV9 would give me improved 2.0/2.1 output for an affordable outlay (and it will give me more HDMI switching, not needed now but is a plus as I am "full" at the moment). As an added bonus size wise it fits easily in my rack in place of the 350 :thumbsup:.

So - as I have all the amplification taken care of, do people agree this seems like a no brainer if I can find a good deal on an AV9 in the classifieds?

phurst

I did exactly the same. Moved from an AVR350 to an AV9. Definitely a step up in sound quality. It doesn't decode the latest HD audio format but guess you've got that sorted with your Oppo.

Jaunty

Thanks. The main thing I think I'd be missing out on is room eq which would be interesting to try.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I've combined my AV9 with an Anti mode box for my sub as a half way house for room EQ. IMHO the sub needs the most taming, so the Anti mode does that job very well. I've never had a 350 but the upgrade path I went was using my Denon 2808 as a pre amp with the P25/3 front three power amp and the P1000 power amp for the surrounds. I definately heard an upgrade in all sound formats (especially stereo). Recently I added some Mark Grant analogue cables to my Oppo 93 so I've been enjoying 5.1 SACD/DVD-A through the AV9 too. :cool:

Jaunty

I've combined my AV9 with an Anti mode box for my sub as a half way house for room EQ. IMHO the sub needs the most taming, so the Anti mode does that job very well. I've never had a 350 but the upgrade path I went was using my Denon 2808 as a pre amp with the P25/3 front three power amp and the P1000 power amp for the surrounds. I definately heard an upgrade in all sound formats (especially stereo). Recently I added some Mark Grant analogue cables to my Oppo 93 so I've been enjoying 5.1 SACD/DVD-A through the AV9 too. :cool:

Thanks I have the anti mode and the Mark Grant Cables in situ :smashin:. Have put a Wanted ad up for an AV9 and will see what turns up.

Jaunty

Well I could not find a black AV9 to match my system, so had to get a silver one :(. The noise floor is much lower, a touch of top end sibilance is gone, and it sounds good. The cost to change from my AVR350 was £250 so a good value move up the chain, as long as it stays working anyway :thumbsup:.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom