From a Yamaha DSP 2070 to who knows where!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by P Adams, Jun 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    This is my first post so apologies to all you seasoned contributors out there if I ramble on.

My wife and I have been on the hi-fi / home cinema trail for six years now and have enjoyed learning about all the latest technological advances.

We originally enjoyed listening to our and videos and CDs through a Yamaha DSP 2070 AV amplifier (purchased second hand six years ago when my friend upgraded to a DSP 3090), connected to a Toshiba 28" 4:3 TV, Mordaunt Short MS25i floorstanders, Mordaunt Short T1000 centre speaker and a pair of old Mission 70s for surround duties. I added a Pioneer 717 DVD player and was amazed at the quality, even on our TV.

We now have a pair of huge Mordaunt Short MS208s floorstanding mains, the T1000 still for centre signals, Mission 77DS for surrounds and a birthday present from my wife of a REL Q150E sub!

She then bought me a Toshiba 42WH18B TV!! This is from a girl who would be quite happy with a 14" TV in the corner of our lounge! We bought a Toshiba SD210E DVD player to take advantage of the component connections after I gave the Pioneer player to my father. We then added a Panasonic TU-DSB31 Sky Digibox for digital TV and a Pronto 2mb remote which I have dabbled in for month or so.

My wife considers the sound of the Yamaha perfectly acceptable! I can see her point...sometimes. Most of the DVDs and CDs we have sound great but obviously only in Stereo / Dolby Pro Logic.

I have heard so many amps over the past four years thinking that I would only spend £500-£750 on an upgrade for the Yamaha, but I am now allowed to spend £2000-£2500 on a FINAL replacement between October and December this year. OK if it's that much I can put up with that sort of ultimatum.

We probably enjoy movies and TV more than CD sound in the lounge, we tend to listen to music in the car or in the kitchen on a Denon DM30 CD / receiver.

So after all that what could I buy? The Denon 1SR, 11SR, Pioneer VSA-AX10 or Yamaha AZ1? Will they be too good for our set-up? I am going to demo them but a little bit of advice for someone who has only ever heard Saving Private Ryan, the Pod Racing scene or Shrek in Pro Logic would be a great comfort!!!

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would choose the Denon AVC-A1SR + another pair of Mission 77DS as Surround back speakers. Then you can not only enjoy surround sound in 5.1 but 7.1 instead!

3. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello P
    An interesting post as I to upgraded from a 2070 which it happens I still own. I upgraded to a Yamaha A1 some years ago now and haven’t looked at what’s available for some time. I would say though that you could pick up an A1 quite cheap as they are often advertised on this forum at silly prices. You don't really have to spent thousands of pounds to make a considerable leap in sound quality especially if you buy something second hand.

Dave

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seriously considering parting with my Denon AVC-A1D (financial constraints, unfortunately). I'd give you £1250 off the new price = £750 inc. for a swift sale :)

You can read the late Bob Tomalski's review at the Home Cinema Choice website, there are nothing but five star ratings from owners at Audioreview.com and, believe me, she sounds, looks and is glorious.

Techtronics have some details of spec and are still showing two in stock (discounted to £1445) on this page.

Highlights include -

5 x 140W
    THX Ultra Certification
    Alpha AL24 processing (on the main L + R channels)
    5.1 + 7.1 inputs
    Dual surround output (drives seven speakers simultaneously)
    Audiophile grade op-amps
    Humongous power transformer (amp weighs 22kg)

Better still you can take the missus on holiday with your change :D

Mike.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sales please go into the classified section next time. You should have contacted him by PM or email in this case.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have a Denon AVC10 which I am more than happy to swap for your wife.