From 7.1 to 5.1.2 - height speakers atmos on wall sides

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pretoriano, Oct 11, 2018.

1. pretoriano

pretoriano
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 7.1 system and I would like to take advantage of the cables that I brought to the sides wall of the listening position for surround channels (or the back surround, which would you deprive us of?), to install a pair of height speakers, then remove the two surrounds on the sides of the sofa placed at a height of 1.80 meters to install us of the height speakers type the canton ar400:
    AR-400

the question is, since the side walls are a short distance from the listening position, around 1.3 meter, at what height of the wall from the floor is it better to install the height speakers? In contact with the ceiling then as high as possible (2.70 m) or at what height?
    Because installing them as high as possible the direction of the sound would pass higher than the head in the listening position, while lowering them I could make the sound reach directly to the ears...

The room is rectangular and only 3.5 meters wide, the TV is on the short side, the length is 5 meters. the height of the room is 2.70 m. The surround back are positioned behind the sofa, at the corners of the room and at a height of 1.70 m, at a distance of about one and a half meters from the listening position

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,918
    The whole idea of Atmos is to have the sound coming from above and the best position would be as high as possible. Putting them lower to fire directly at the MLP because of their close proximity would have the sound replicating that height and you may lose the desired effect.

The speakers are perfect for mounting high on the front wall where the distance would be just right. Your other option with your preferred position would be to further increase the angle by adding something at the back of the speaker. Difficult but not impossible.

Of course you have another option in using the speakers as upfirers. Doing this, or the front wall option, could give you 7.1.2 providing your receiver is capable.

3. pretoriano

pretoriano
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply, so rather than putting the two height speakers at the sides of the listening point, do you suggest putting them on the front?

I started from the idea of getting as close as possible to the configuration of the top ceiling (which I can not put) but maybe I was wrong approach

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,918
    I would recommend the front position as it will give a better angled direction for your MLP. For a 5.1.2 with inceling then the position would be above the MLP. This could be replicated with side speakers that are placed as high as possible with the correct angulation applied, which you have already said is not possible in your situation. Therefore the front position and firing towards the MLP is the best option.

5. pretoriano

pretoriano
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is difficult for me to bring the cables to put them on the front, I have to choose whether to sacrifice the surrounds sideways at the listening point or to sacrifice the surround back seats at the back behind the sofa, behind at 1,6 m.

Taking advantage of the cables already passed for these I could in the first case put the loudspeakers to the sides wall but putting them higher than 1.8 m as they are now; and in the second case to bounce towards the ceiling, which of the two roads would you choose?

Exactly the surround backs are on a shelf about 1.8 m from the floor and about 1.6 meters behind the sofa at the corners of the room. The idea would be to replace them with a pair of dolby enable speakers to bounce on the ceiling such Magnat Shadow 102 ATM.
    What do you think of the result I could have whit this solution, I would have 2 channel atmos that start from behind and that bounce on the ceiling up to me, obviously I would direct them slightly towards the center of the room in the longitudinal direction.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 7:31 PM
  6. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,918
    I use upfiring KEF R50s and I find them very good indeed. The ceiling does have to meet certain criteria for using such modules. The ceiling must be flat and made of a reflective material, ie, plaster or smooth artex. The ceiling should be between 2.4 metres and 4.2 metres (roughly). For maximum effect the speakers should be placed no higher than half the height of the ceiling. Using them in a rear position is, I believe, acceptable and can be configured as such in receivers.

Using upfirers it is important to have the surround speakers at just above seated head height although, through necessity (also known as the wife) I have my surrounds slightly higher than this although not as high as yours.

7. pretoriano

pretoriano
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My ceiling is 2.70m high. From specific dolby if I'm not mistaken the surrounds must be at a height of no more than 60 cm from the listening position, my position is 90cm in height and therefore I should not put the surround to more than 1.5m in height, but the room is a living and I can not do otherwise.

8. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,918
    We all have to make compromises, especially in the main living area. If that what it takes...…..:thumbsup:

9. pretoriano

pretoriano
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think of the "Magnat shadow atm 102" or the Canton AR400? I can not find reviews on the acoustic quality of these coaxial, also you can not wait if they have a crossover that makes the emission particularly emphasized on certain frequencies and less on others, as it should be on this type of speakers, or if they can be used instead also as wall-mounted speakers for surround use, some of them SVS Elevation Prime declare that they can be used alternately in both contexts, but if they have a different crossover as they can also be used as a classic surround? In this case the frequency response should instead be linear and not particular as in the use for atmos enabled, do not you think?

10. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,918
    In the position you want to place them any speaker will do the job adequately. It's accepted that any Atmos speaker should have the crossover set in the receiver to at least 150hz. Providing you can get the angle to the MLP right which is basically your problem. The KEF Q50a could be used as the UniQ design is really good off axis.

11. pretoriano

pretoriano
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All dolby enabled speakers are cut below 150hz by receiver?