1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From 5.1 to 6.1 or 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by daren jackson, Jan 21, 2002.

1. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Denon Av10SE amp, Mission 753 fronts, 751 rears and 75c1 centre. REL Stadium sub. I am looking to add the Denon POA 2 channel power amp and change the 751 rears for something else (needs to be wall mounted).

My questions are -

1/ for 5.1 would I be best using, say , Mission 77ds speakers for the rear?

2/ If I went for 6.1 could I use just another 77ds (yes I know they only sell them in pairs) for the rear centre, or would another centre (such as using the Mission 77c1) be better?

3/ Can someone explain 7.1?

thanks for any help.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    7.1 is better than 5.1. It seems to spread the sound around the room better tahn 5.1.

A single rear does not work well (it is generally in line with the centre) and because of some strange physoacoustic effect the brain mixes up the signal with the centre. This is why when THX came out they use two rears which they made sound different.

Bipoles are okay on the sides / rear. Personally I much prefer dipoles. Whether you use dipoles or your current direct radiators is personal preference. I have the option of both at home and I recommend Dipoles on the sides and direct radiators on the rears. This is a nice balance for music and films IMHO. (Film only I still like dipoles).

Use the POA for the L and R channels not the rears, it is better than the internal Denon amps. There is a switch on the 10 somewhere to allow this.

In short, forget 6.1, it is a marketing fudge (all the big boys use 7.1 Lexicon, Tag, Meridian etc).

Use dipoles (or those mission bipoles for completeness on the sides) and your direct radiators on the rears.

3. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, as all of the rears (both sides and back) will need to be wall mounted (and set at a height of about 8 foot (two foot from the ceiling) would the Mission 77ds (x4) be best or another solution (possibly another manufacturer)?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It must depend on how close to the back wall you sit and how wide the wall itself, is.

I am right against the back wall and the bay is only about 10' wide so I didn't bother with the 6.1 or 7.1 route as I think that my room is too small and the soundstage would end up worse, not better.

I could be wrong but I don't want to waste the money on another pair of Missions, drill holes in the wall and then find that I don't like it.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Actually there is no 7.1 system as such and the only true 6.1 system is 'DTS Es Discrete', yet the terms are sometimes used to describe the amount of speakers used.
    Or in other words 6.1 can also use a 7.1 speaker setup, the add. rear channel is just duplicated (i.e. the signal remains mono) for reasons described by Nic, thus adding 2 channels of amplification and two speakers.

To maintain a close tonal match you should choose speakers from the same make and series. I believe there are no matching rears available in the 75 series so stick to the same brand at least, the 77DS (x4) would IMHO be a reasonable and good alternative.

But listen to them first before you buy or start drilling holes into the wall ...

6. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Having just read this post I am wondering whether i've set up my system correctly.
    I have a DSP-AX1 with 6 x LCR6 S2's. Firstly am I going to notice a vast improvement having another B&W LCR at the rear (at the mo the single rear centre is suspended on 2 low speaker stands pointing up behind the sofa) the Yamaha only has one rear centre output so if the answer is Yes how do you wire it ???
    Also the amp has the 2 extra front effect speaker outputs, my previous DSP1092 had these and I wasn't overly impressed and negated to use them but would they have improved on this amp????

Any ideas would be welcome......:) :) :)

7. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard that both speakers should be wired in series (not parallel). In series they represent around 16 ohms of impedance to the amp, in Parallel it would be 4 ohms and less.

8. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Parallel ???? how do you do that (literally)

I mean "in series" how do you do that ???????

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  10. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks Reiner, lots of invaluable on those posts although there is some differing of opinions, gives me a lot to go on though

Cheers

Malone.............

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There will be differing opinions as it is early days yet.

The main problem as I see it is that the magazines tend to write their reviews as if everyone lives in the perfect "home cinema shaped" house and unfortunately most of us don't.