1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frogs No Can Do

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Bioscope, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Bioscope

Bioscope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought and renovated an apartment in Paris. I have a column in the middle of a room onto which I want to put an lcd. Because there's traffic past the column, I couldn't put a cupboard underneath where the lcd will go, so I had a cupboard built off to the side. The cupboard is linked to the column by a) a coax cable that terminates in a standard antenna plug on the column and b) an pipe about 2.5cms in diameter that I had put in for future connectivity. The pipe has a tough wire in it to use to pull cables.

There is an electricity socket on the column. See attached pdf drawing.

I rarely watch TV and don't want a major home cinema setup. I'm just looking to save space by having the TV out of the way. I may be interested in putting in a Bose 3-2-1 or similar system with just two speakers next to the TV that will cover my music needs too, but don't want speakers all over the place.

I had thought that I would get an A/V amp, plug the cable TV, dvd, video recorder, camcorder, pc etc. into it and then have one cable going to the TV carrying sound and video (DVI perhaps).

Took myself off to some local home cinema dealers to find out what I should start looking at in terms of kit. After hours of discussion, I've been told that I can't do what I wanted to and that they will need to chase cables into the wall to get the installation right. Let's just say that after building in this town, I no longer trust what any "professional" tells me.

So, I would like to know from you guys how I can get this right. Some questions:

1) The installers told me that I would need to decide what TV I wanted first because not all of the plugs on the TVs were standard. Some TV's (Lowe for eg) need two DVI connections. Huh? I thought they all used either composite, scart or dvi?
    2) Then they told me that scart and DVI are too big to fit into the pipe I have. They say they can't cut off the plug and rewire it on a scart because there are 20 (shock, horror) wires to reconnect afterwards. Apparently it's worse for dvi.
    3) They say I can't or shouldn't use composite to connect the TV and even if I do, I will need to run sound separately (which I know but it shouldn't be a problem to run composite and RCA cables through my pipe. Why shouldn't I use composite?
    4) They also mentioned something about needing to have a sound cable coming back from the TV. Something to do with the tuner in the TV needing to be connected back to the cupboard but I didn't understand why.
    5) I don't have a good solution for music in the lounge yet, so I was thinking that I might as well get some speakers at the same time. I don't want speakers all over the place though. I saw the Bose 3-2-1 which looks like it might be good to put next to the TV. It would mean running what looks like a proprietary cable down that same pipe though and judging by the plugs, they might not fit. Anyone know anything about this unit or something similar?
    6) The solution to my problem would be a wireless connection. I already have a wi-fi network in the apartment. What's the status of video and audio over wi-fi?

Hope you guys can help.

Attached Files:

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I wonder whether you are confusing composite with component video. Composite is one single yellow connector, component is three seperate red/green/blue connectors, usually RCA connectors but sometimes on BNC's.

Some televisions, mostly plasma and lcd, have a specific control cable that connects the panel to the media box (tuner). This is virtually impossible to resolder and the plugs are pretty large. If somebody was very determined and could find the pin diagrams I imagine it could be done but probably not.

See answer to question 1. Also, SCART plugs can pretty easily be soldered to bare cable. Yeah, it's a bit of work but no biggie.

See answer to question 1. Composite is, after RF, the worst possible way to connect your TV. Component is MUCH better. DVI/HDMI is better still.

To take normal TV sound back to the amp? They should have explained this though, rather than just saying that you need it.

Can't really help here other than saying there are better solutions out there than Bose. It's the obvious, but not always the best option. See Anthony Gallo for speakers and perhaps the likes of Linn for electronics, or I think Teac do a compact AV system.

In it's infancy. Not really yet available for performance equipment.

I hope that I did :)