Fright Night (2011)

Ironically, Amanda Bearse is a lesbian, [...]

I don't see what's ironic about that. :D

I'll give any film, remake or not, the benefit of a doubt. I wasn't a huge fan of the original and I think this has a cast of great character actors which makes a nice change from the blandly pretty TV actors they usually cast in horror remakes.

Last edited:
frightnightcharacterpos.jpg

I wished they'd bring back good graphic designers and illustrators for movie posters. I hate these poorly photoshopped "character" posters. :thumbsdow

Agreed, it's bloody lazy, cheap and unimaginative... :thumbsdow

Saw this at Frightfest last night and thought it was surprisingly good. This is the rare remake that actually works. It keeps everything that was good about the original film and improves on it with a better cast, better direction (there is a car chase sequence half way through that is the high point of the film, it's a cracking action scene) and a larger budget. The remake still isn't a masterpiece (the original certainly wasn't), but its a fun horror flick and it's good to see a big budget Hollywood horror film with and R rating, even if it has to be a remake and in 3D.

Last edited:
From IMDB it's on;y took 14.2 mil which means it will likely disappear into the bowels of film history.

I dunno myself whether I facy it or not, poor choice of release time me thinks, would have been better at Halloween but perhaps the cast have other commitments so wouldn't be able to publicise the film beforehand.

From IMDB it's on;y took 14.2 mil which means it will likely disappear into the bowels of film history.

I dunno myself whether I facy it or not, poor choice of release time me thinks, would have been better at Halloween but perhaps the cast have other commitments so wouldn't be able to publicise the film beforehand.

It didn't help that due to the hurricane most cinemas on the East Coast got shut down:

http://www.movieline.com/2011/08/weekend-receipts-hurricane-irene-does-damage-at-the-box-office.php

Plenty of films that originally flopped are still popular today and haven't disappeared into the "bowels of film history". The film may still find an audience on home video. It would deserve it, as it's one of the better Hollywood releases in a while.

Last edited:
Bladerunner originally flopped and that didn't disappear. I'm glad this remake looks like a decent affair, hopefully it'll get a BD release in time for Halloween.

Watched this last night and was full of the usual rediculous cliches that are usual for this kind of film so it was ok at best. Not bad but nothing new and exciting.

6/10.

Watched this last night, thought it was OK but nothing more really. 3D does nothing but David Tennant is quite amusing in Russell Brand mode. Wouldn't really recommend rushing to the cinema to see it but it's worth renting when it comes out. 6.5/10 from me.

Just got back from watching this and thought it was very good.
Some nice characters with Farrell and Tennant stealing the show, did anyone spot the cameo:
Chris Sarandon was the man in car that Farrell ate after the car crash and he played Jerry Dandridge in the original!

7/10 from me

Saw this on Saturday and thought it was great fun and scary in places. Particularly enjoyed Farrell and Tenant's turns in it. The 3D was pointless though.

Going to see this tonight. Watched the original again over the weekend so can't wait for this tonight.

What's the guessing someone will be dumb enough to remake "Re-Animator", "Cannibal Holocaust" and "The Lost Boys" too! :nono:

The Re-Animator films are classics! :)

But I'm sure I heard something about a lost-boys remake?

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. On par with the orginal I think.

managed to see this recently and really enjoyed it although much preferred the original, i thought that Farrell was outed as the bad guy to everyone else (except Jerry) far to quickly....... not bad at all as far as remakes go though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom