Friends that you lose contact with...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...it's easy to lose contact with folk, and as time goes on it's easier to let go.

Talked with my friend John today (eek from a long while ago).

Why didn't I do this sooner???

:)

I have had this a few times but if they hasn't lived in the same town then contact has been lost again.

People think that keeping in contact is acceptable through Facebook but its not the samething.

I was going to mention facebook - really good for generally keeping up with someone.

It's really hard keeping contact with old friends if you don't live nearby, but at least these days we have email, Facebook*, etc. I'm lucky that I keep in touch with 4 other guys I knew from school days. All bar one have moved away from my home town, but every now and then we find an excuse to meet up (or even went to the trouble of getting married a second time recently, so that was a good occasion :D).

There's one friend who we all knew but has disappeared off the face of the earth so it seems, which is a great shame as back in the day he was really into his hifi. Given how much time I spend on here I wonder if we'd still have much in common. :smashin:

I also had a Royal Navy reunion last September from the 1982 entry. :eek: There were people there I hadn't seen for 25-29 years, yet we just seemed to pick up where we'd left off...always the sign of good friends.

* I set up a private group just for the 5 of us blokes so that we aren't broadcasting to every one else we know on Facebook. If not for this I'd probably not bother with it, but it's handy just for arranging get togethers and suggesting dates, etc.

When I lived in Hayes, Middlesex, I shared a house with a couple. She was a local girl and he was from Houston, Texas. We were best friends and when they got married I was their best man.

I then moved back home, but we still kept in contact for the next 3 yrs. The last time I saw them was at my wedding. They went through a rough patch without telling me, and after my wedding they split up.

I've tried searching for them on Facebook and Linkedin etc but have never found them. I'd love to find either one of them again to catch up on old times. I've a feeling he moved back to America, but I've no idea where she is.

I chatted to my friend Simon just 2 weeks ago on Facebook havent seen him in 23 years. We got on the phone had a right old chat. Going to meet up with him soon. A very emotional experience.
I wish I had done it sooner.
Dont burn the bridges

I've recently started talking to a couple of my old school-friends who I haven't spoken to in about six or seven years. One of them found me on Twitter a few weeks back and we've been talking ever since, we're planning to meet up next week to go and watch a movie and stuff. It's real nice to talk again though!

The other one is someone who left school when I was around 14 and we stopped speaking when he moved areas and we started talking again very recently. We had a right good talk about the last nine years and what we've been doing and stuff. It's weird seeing how much people change though.

It's just really nice to talk to them again. Most of us are talking to one another again after around nine years, it's quite a brilliant experience! I'm looking forward to seeing them all again. I love how they were all shocked to find I can ride a motorbike now, haha. They'll probably be even more shocked to find out I'm getting one in a month's time! :D

I'm glad other people have reunited with their friends too.

I found a few old friends on Friends Reunited a few years ago. Since then, moved over to Facebook and found even more! Been on a few reunions from that.

I hate things like facebook for the very reason that people you don't like or care about suddenly contact you.

If anyones' that important then you wouldn't lose contact.....

AVF Jay said:
I hate things like facebook for the very reason that people you don't like or care about suddenly contact you.

Well then don't reply to them! Jeez!

I found one of my best friends from school on Facebook after 15 years. Met up a few times and ended up going to each others weddings last year. See each other every few months, am so glad we got back in contact, has been great :)

Well then don't reply to them! Jeez!

I was about to say this!

Sometimes, life commitments can get in the way. Some may move to different areas, some may have a family, etc. Some people lose contact for different reasons but it can be nice to see your old pals again.

I was ill for a couple of years, and pretty much cut off contact with my mates as I didn't want them to see me in a mess. Whilst still ill, I moved home in a hurry, 700 miles away. Lost contact with everyone.

When I popped back up on Facebook, almost instantly I was back in touch with all my mates. It was such a positive experience that I started getting in touch with other people I'd lost contact with, just a quick email to see if they wanted to chat, and I received a load of long, rambling emails from people who clearly didn't see it as a nuisance.

Sometimes it's awkward if you've not spoken to someone for a while, especially if you've missed big occasions in their lives. But what have you got to lose? I can't really think of anyone who I've been friends with that I wouldn't enjoy a quick chat with.

But then, I'm supposedly a bit weird as I get on well with my exes too :D

I've got back in touch with a lot of ex school/work/navy buddies through Facebook, also met a mate I hadn't seen since leaving school in the 80's (Aberdeen) in my local in Texas, was weird. Had chance meetings in Magalluf with 2 school mats in BCM nightclub whilst there on a run ashore whilst on NATO duty, weird.

As the poster ^^ said, I am still friends with 3 of my ex GF spanning 20+ years and the strange thing is that they are all friends (I must have done something good lol)

As the poster ^^ said, I am still friends with 3 of my ex GF spanning 20+ years and the strange thing is that they are all friends (I must have done something good lol)
Careful, some people seem to have strong opinions on that here :D I was told that sort of thing only happens in the movies! Understandable, I guess, if someone has had bad break-ups, but I haven't had any of those.

Careful, some people seem to have strong opinions on that here :D I was told that sort of thing only happens in the movies! Understandable, I guess, if someone has had bad break-ups, but I haven't had any of those.

Never really had bad break ups, I seem to sense when it's time and never try to let bad blood into it, maybe that's why I'm single coupled with my work/life arrangements.

It would have been 4 that would be friends but 1 moved away. I have a picture of all 3 at my party for moving abroad, it is framed on my wall at home. A good talking point with ladies that I see. They think it is a good sign that I would make a boyfriend but not husband, which is true maybe. :smashin::rolleyes::facepalm:

I got in touch this week by phone with someone I last saw 30 years ago, it was amazing how we were able to pick up a friendship we used to have. I 'd been upwardly mobile in the 30 years (it's very pompous of me to say it but true) while he had progressed in other ways and is almost certainly a far better person than I am. It was astonishing to hear of events from my friend and of re-marriages, death by hideous disease, famous people he'd met. It is a great thing I've done in getting back in touch with him and I'm proud of myself and him. His new wife sounds like a great person.

I'm seeing one of my best mates from school today, someone who until quite recently, I hadn't seen or spoken to in a decade.

When we did hook up it was like we'd seen each other the day before.

I have always wondered what happened to some of my then close friends when i was a teenager at school(45 yrs ago) and then the next few years when we all started dating , seems to be when you fall in love, friends seem to go out the window and you wrap yourselves around the person you love and all contact gets lost especially when you move away.
I have tried facebook , friends re-united to make some contact , alas no such luck . Shame really :(

I have always wondered what happened to some of my then close friends when i was a teenager at school(45 yrs ago) and then the next few years when we all started dating , seems to be when you fall in love, friends seem to go out the window and you wrap yourselves around the person you love and all contact gets lost especially when you move away.
I have tried facebook , friends re-united to make some contact , alas no such luck . Shame really :(

If you can get one contact on FB you can normally find more from their friends list, that's how I got in touch with folks I hadn't seen in forever.

6 degrees of seperation and all that. :smashin:

One slightly morbid part if getting in touch with friends is hearing about the deaths of old friends as well from the one I'd got in touch with. I heard of three deaths of friends this week and they were all called Pete, it seemed if I'd known you 30 years ago you were safe so long as you weren't called Pete. Coincidences!

I've lost contact with a lot of people over the years. I often sit and think "I should've done this sooner" :)

I've lost contact with most of my old friends, sadly. Its a fact of life but when I realise that I'm the one who has made the contact and travelled to meet them the last few times then I get a bit precious and think that I'll wait until they contact me next. Then years have gone by and I've realised that maybe we weren't the friends I thought we were.

Maybe i'm not such a good friend?

I've lost contact with most of my old friends, sadly. Its a fact of life but when I realise that I'm the one who has made the contact and travelled to meet them the last few times then I get a bit precious and think that I'll wait until they contact me next. Then years have gone by and I've realised that maybe we weren't the friends I thought we were.

Maybe i'm not such a good friend?

I feel a little bit like this and we're all turning 30 this year. It sounds like you wrote what I was thinking. All used to hang out into our early 20's. Small groups that made a bigger one and we'd usually end up in the same place. Tried to make the effort with a few, we meet up, message on Facebook and then that's that. Obviously it's not going to be the same with work, partners etc. Other friends I've caught up with and I'm meeting up with them tomorrow.

I wonder if like you say that it's that you weren't great friends? Or is it just that they're happy with balancing their life as it is?

They have their small circle of friends and fit them in. So see it hard to place you?

Whilst the people I hang around with now are all interconnected, a few of my friends from work. A few of my girlfriend's friends etc. They are all like minded and make the effort with others. We will be having a barbeque soon and they all get along.

Perhaps your friends don't like to make the effort with strangers if that makes sense?

One friend that I keep trying to make the effort with only used to come out sometimes as he didn't get along with many people in the group. Where I'd just be civil if I don't see eye to eye with someone he'd rather not go. As a consequence he wouldn't come out that often unless it was a select few. It seems that he's happy with his small group now. I'll hear from him every few months and that's it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom