A friend has just brought the Dali Spektor 2 speakers

Paired with Rega P3
Rega io amp

When he plays anything through them this is the result see video
They seem distorted or blown but they are brand new

Attachments

• VID-20200828-WA0015.mp3
    344.3 KB · Views: 101
I can't tell for certain from the audio clip that the speakers are the culprits - though something is definitely very wrong - so, for me, it's a process of elimination.

Have any other speakers been used with this turntable and amp combination? If so, what did that sound like? Has any (or all) components been used successfully in another system?

Who set up the turntable and cartridge? Can your friend be certain it's set up correctly?

Could your friend borrow a working pair of speakers to check out his turntable and amp? Could your friend borrow a reliable source such as a CD player to check out the amp and speakers?

Has your friend tried connecting headphones to the amp? If so, what was the result?

Do check all connections, especially amp to speakers, to ensure wires aren't shorting out.

By the way, there's no need to pretend that it's "your friend" who has this problem. I only use that tactic for embarrassing sexual health issues.

Last edited:
That's made me chuckle that last bit
My system is rega RSS 2017 model and plays through Dennon mini system wish I could afford rega io

It works with different speakers not through the amp though

Doesn't work with headphones through the amp and speakers disconnected still the same noise

Speakers and Amy should pair together nicely with rega deck it's baffling.

Has he plugged the turntable into the correct inputs? input 1 is the phono input on an Io.

It sounds like something is wrong with the phono stage. Similar sound to running a cd through a phono stage. Simple things first, are the leads in the correct inputs i.e. red to red, black to black. I’m not wishing to appear patronising but worth ruling out the little things first.

Thanks for the reply and appreciate the help the phono stage is built in on this particular model rega turntable.

I've checked the cables and everything seems connected up correctly

Thanks for the reply and appreciate the help the phono stage is built in on this particular model rega turntable.

I've checked the cables and everything seems connected up correctly
Ah, that might be the issue then. If there’s a phono stage built in to the turntable, and he has also plugged it in to the phono input on the amp then it’s running through a second phono stage....

If using the phono stage in the TT, then plug into a regular line input on the amp. Or (if possible) bypass the phono stage in the TT and plug into the phono input on the amp.

Ah, that might be the issue then. If there’s a phono stage built in to the turntable, and he has also plugged it in to the phono input on the amp then it’s running through a second phono stage....

If using the phono stage in the TT, then plug into a regular line input on the amp. Or (if possible) bypass the phono stage in the TT and plug into the phono input on the amp.

Thanks I will pass this on didn't even think of that and they'll be no way of bypassing TT one easily as its all built in so may have to just use that one and not the io one

It's the hybrid RSD TT that's literally plug it in our the box

Mind is RSD 2017 but that requires separate phone stage as doesn't have one built in

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom