Friends for 9 year old son

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dermy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. dermy

dermy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My 9 year old son is constantly getting abuse on live. I dont know if its because he is quite good at COD, LOTR or being young, but I am fed up with it. Anyone else out there have a similar issue?. Maybe get a clan going for them? Thinking of age group 8 - 12. Hopefully this comes across OK.

2. edwardtickle

edwardtickle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Unless he regularly speak to randoms, put his voice communications onto friends only, this was he doesn't hear it :smashin:

3. CinemaChap

CinemaChap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Unfortunatly younger gamers have a bad rep on live, but I have found you dont get any abuse if you dont give any ;)

4. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Isn't CoD a 16 rated game?

5. thefamoushoops

thefamoushoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Indeed it is and my son (11) is better than a lot of adults I know :smashin:

6. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    But you're warping his fragile little mind.

7. Teddy Windsor

Teddy Windsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I don't let my 11-year-old son talk to anyone online other than people he knows in "real life". That said, I don't really allow him on Live! unless it's prearranged with a phone call first. He's only permitted to play Halo 3 or Fifa 09 with his mates (which is why they're still showing on my gamecard) ... but then I'm probably Victorian Dad.

Cheers,

Teddy

8. daveon

daveon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Then I must be one too, there are reasons for the ratings on games and there are too many people using online services to prey on young people, so I say good for you Teddy.

As for abuse towards kids on live, make sure they are set to play with friends only, if you are going to allow your child to play 16 rated games then you have to expect that the language used and behaviour of the participants is going to be of an adult/choice nature.

9. twotellys

twotellys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    MY lads 10 and is better than me at cod he uses my gamertag and is on every day addicted to the game so ill ask him to send you a friends request if you like send me a pm if you want me to when i get home at 6.00pm
    waits for all the abuse about 10 year olds playing rated games :rolleyes:

i must say 99% of the time im sat with him watching him play

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    The simple answer is... a 9 year old kid should NOT be playing on Xbox LIVE full stop :nono: In this day and age the internet is a dangerous place unfortunately and xbox live is no exception. There may be the odd exception to this though, close friends and family but it should always be supervised. If you insist on letting him use xbox live voice communication and messaging should be disabled completely, this way you know theres nothing to worry about and can feel safe letting him play but IMO, its still best to stick to single player.

11. Teddy Windsor

Teddy Windsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    If you're happy with it and feel they're safe, then that's probably the most important consideration.

The idea for the thread is obviously well intentioned, but I don't really see online gaming to be significantly different from things like chatrooms and think there are potential risks.

Cheers,

Teddy.

12. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    Or you could teach your kid not to go and meet random men in a dark alley.

How is it dangerous to talk to strangers on the internet providing you don't give them you address and NIN what can really happen, bar a bit of salty language.

13. super-twisted

super-twisted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    No kids myself (yet), but I'd let them play on live, but always under supervision.

My attitude is that it's not about what you let your kids do, but about how you get involved in what they're doing.

14. twotellys

twotellys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    My attitude is that it's not about what you let your kids do, but about how you get involved in what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

Well said :smashin:

i think if you shelter them from it the more they will go out of there way to do it when youre not around as they seem to know technology a lot quicker nowadays and ways around it:confused:

15. Simon Coates

Simon Coates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dermy,

My son is 9 also. If you want you can send me a PM and I'll send you his gamertag. He mainly plays CoD4, [email protected],TF2 and Gears 2.
    He's also got quite a lot of younger friends on Live - after 3 years of being on Live he's found some decent kids.
    He's also got some much older gamers, including adults on his friends list - probably a testiment to him being a good gamer and not being an ear-splitting Mickey Mouse sounding brat of an American kid. :)

PS. Everybody - NO flames please regarding his age and game suitablity. He's very level-headed, switched-on and a blooming good gamer!!! He was soooo upset last year when he couldn't play in the CoD4 UK competitions as the minimum entry age was 16. That 'damaged' him more than playing the game :eek:

Regards,

Simon

16. dermy

dermy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the replies guys, all valid points. Didnt really want it to turn into a 'he shouldnt be playing live thing' but he does and we monitor it closely.
    Thanks twotellys and Simon, il PM you.

17. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I'm surprised how many of you think its ok to have kids under the age of 10 playing on xbox live :eek: LIVE was originally intended for over 18s and it clearly stated this in the T&Cs, you also needed a credit card to sign up, if only it had stayed that way. I have a 7 year old son and theres no way on earth i'd let him go on live unless voice comms and messaging was disabled, some of the things i hear on LIVE are disgusting, even my language is disgusting, its certainly not something i would want my son listening to.

18. twotellys

twotellys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Each to there own you cant shelter them from everything in life and as long as there supervised i dont see a problem with it they learn a lot more bad habits and language from mates in the playground which unfortunately i cant supervise if he asks me what a word means ill tell him and he understands not to use bad language etc if im a bad parent for that heyho ill have to live with what im allowing him to become but i will come down hard on him if i feel it nessacary

if what im trying to say makes sense

19. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    I was probably the kid teaching others the bad language in the playground :D.

20. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Gears 2 has exploding heads, people being chainsawed up and blood and guts galore.

Is that really suitable material for under 10s?

I'm all for the parents making an informed decision. But surely the content is not suitable full stop.

21. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934

I thought you were cool.

22. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    That does make sense i suppose and of course we cant shelter them from everything, i do agree its better to know what they are up to rather than saying no just for them to go elsewhere and do it but i cant help but feel that xbox LIVE is unnecessary for younger kids. Most games just aren't aimed at kids anymore and i find most big LIVE titles completely unacceptable for anyone under the age of 16 (ish) , not just because of the blood, guts and language but because of the dialogue in general. There will always be certain exceptions and despite what ive said i suppose as long as they are supervised when on LIVE its not all bad, theres worse things they could be out doing i suppose.

23. Syphonic

Syphonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    At the end of the day, nobody can really dictate what is best for anybody elses children. Some children are far more mature than others of the same age and are better able to differentiate between reality and fiction. It's up to the parents to decide whether or not they think it is suitable for their child.

As the saying goes Game experience may change during online play ;)

When it comes to it, I would be more worried about my son hearing some of the foul diatribe that comes out of the mouth of the more immature gamers than the actual violence on screen.

24. twotellys

twotellys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    as you say as long as they can differentiate between a game and reality i feel its ok :smashin:

off topic slightly anybody fancy gettin there buts kicked by a ten year old on cod :rotfl:

and he is an avid reader of these forums and has learnt a lot from them so ill be in the doghouse when i get home as he will no doubt want to reply with his thoughts but obviously i wont let him :smashin:

25. WillieCocker

WillieCocker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I hate to admit it, but i agree with you 100%.
    Whilst i think kids have more of a right to be playing games than most of us, Xbox Live is full of.......well you all know.
    How many of us want our kids to hear it?
    As said it would be a different story if you could switch of voice comms,ie not hear anyone at all.
    I too am guilty of foul language, and i'd hate it if there were an under 10 in the same room as me, even if he does hear it all the time.

26. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Picture this,

You ban your child from Xbox Live totally because you don't feel confident to teach them the do's and don'ts of online play/chat (or simply don't believe they should be on it).

Your child then makes friends with another child and regularly visits their house to play on their Xbox, but as their parents take the total opposite view, your child then has full access to Xbox Live and starts to pick up a lot of bad habits (you probably won't find out that this is happening either as your child is hardly likely to tell you for fear of being cut off).

I ask you, surely it's better to allow some controlled & supervised play to 'educate' your child (and yourself if needs be) rather than let them learn the ways of the world behind closed doors unbeknownst to yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating kids playing games that are rated older than their years, but there are plenty of games available that can be used to introduce them to this very new technology.

Hope I don't offend anyone with this post, it is purely my point of view.

27. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I don't use a mic on xbox live because of this.

Was playing GRiD the other day and beat all other 11 of the guys in the race 3 times in a row. I heard them all saying kick him and now my rep shows I have 100% neg for bad language. How thats possible without a mic I don't know! Can't be bothered with it anymore so won't be renewing my live sub when it runs out next month.

28. Le RipPeR

Le RipPeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Maybe your right for certain games, however the console itself is promoted as a family console and so there should be a place for kids of that age.

Another thing, some people seem to be getting on their high horse about this. Now my parents were and still are to an extent very protective of me and my bro growing up. They put restrictions on certain things, but to be honest they allowed us, gave us responsibility, to maybe play games/watch movies that were outside of our reach over the counter. It doesnt have to be that big a deal, as long as you put your kids in the right mindset and show that you are giving them the responsibility as young adults. If they're even half decent kids its not that big a deal.

I'm sure some of you on here played games when you werent technically old enough.

29. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    You said it though....the console itself, not actually the online gaming.

I had a lot of freedom as a youngster, as others have said its better to say yes and compromise rather than to say no and then not know what the kids are up to ....... this is something i agree 100% with but we are talking about the under 10s in this case, i personally feel the line must be drawn somehwere and 9 is too young, at least to be communicating freely with people on xbox live, but of course thats just my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  30. Le RipPeR

Le RipPeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

Nah i do get what your saying, and im not saying that live is an easy going friendly place majority of the time, even for an adult!!

What Microsoft need to do though is show a bit of focus for real youngsters (under 10s) if they really want to maintain the 'Family' console status, something that will allow them to experience Live as a good service without the negatives coming into play...

How they will do this, i do not know.

For alot of parents, they dont know really what Live can be like to be honest.