Fridge turns on, DVD loses sound. Mains isolation?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mugi, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I just bought a Maxim cheapy DVD player from Tesco (yeah, I know...). It's great and I can't knock it except for that whenever my fridge powers up, or a fluorescent light flickers into life, the sound on the DVD or CD playback drops out momentarily.

Curiously, the picture continues as normal......

I've tried a surge resist plug on the DVD player and then I tried it on the fridge but all to no avail.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I'm using co-axial feed into my Creative Labs 5700 which has never shown any problems using optical. It's difficult to know whether it's the DVD player or the amp.

Looking forward to any ideas.

Thanks

Morgan

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Definitely sounds like a mains problem so I doubt the co-ax lead is at fault.

I would start by ensuring that all of your components have their own mains feeds - if that's not possible, then at least ensure that no other electrical items are connected to the same point. Try a multi-way surge protector for all of your AV kit :)

K.

3. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I wondered if the coax may have been to blame as it's only the sound that wanders.
    The surge resist 4 way I tried did nothing.
    Mind you, I know my mains to be very iffy because (a) it's Barnsley and (b) my vacuum cleaner also twitches if left plugged in (software on switch).

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  5. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Dfour. Perhaps that's just the thing. I might drop them an email to find out if it'll do. Cheers!

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Plug costs almost the price of a cheap dvd player, why not just spend more money on another player ?