Question Fridge Freezer - Brand & Warranty

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by wicker_man, Feb 1, 2018.

1. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi, I shall be purchasing a new fridge freezer in the next few weeks. I was initially set on getting a Bosch for £490 which has a 2 year warranty. I already have a Bosch washing machine and tumble dryer which haven't given me any problems in the 3+ years I have owned them, which is why Bosch was my first port of call.

Looking at other options, I can get the Siemens clone of the Bosch but with a 5 year warranty for £540, or looking at cheaper options a similar size/spec Kenwood for £320 (1 year warranty) or Hisense for £350 (2 year warranty).

So my dilemma - is it worth spending more for a 'premium' brand which may be better built and last longer, with the old 'buy cheap buy twice' train of though? Or are budget appliances fairly reliable nowadays and I would be better off saving a chunk of cash with one of the cheaper options?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated, many thanks :)

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,000
    It may be a cliche to say 'Buy cheap, buy twice' ... but there is an great deal of truth in it.

To generalise, there is quite a body of evidence to indicate that in white goods especially, the premium is worth it because of the improved reliability.

3. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks for the response, that was my thinking. Maybe it's a different story with smaller appliances, my cheap £30 microwave that I bought 8 years ago whilst still at uni is going strong (since passed on to my sister) and I had a £10 Tesco toaster which lasted longer than two Tefal ones! But I don't mind spending money for a better quality item which is going to last.

Would you say it was worth the £50 extra on the Siemens over the Bosch to get the 5 year warranty? They are identical fridges, even the model numbers just differ by two characters being swapped around!)

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,000
    That's entirely a personal choice.
    But you have to be unlucky to have a fridge fail within 5 years. They are fairly reliable devices.

If you are quite sure they are identical I'd say go for the cheaper.
    Such things are always a gamble, but the odds are in your favour on this one.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,000
    Just as a footnote to this, I recently had to get rid of a fridge at my original family home- A Kelvinator.

It was still working, but had to go so that I could get a Fridge / Freezer combo to cater for my elderly Father's needs.

It was bought in 1959 for £109-19s 11d.

It had been running for 58 years... which aint bad.

It did need a new bulb on one occasion.

6. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks, I think I will go with the Bosch then, as per my original plan!

And regarding the models, the Bosch is KGD36VI30G and the Siemens is KG36DVI30G - so just the 'D' has moved places but the spec is identical!

Interestingly I was looking at John Lewis and the Bosch has just increased in price by £169! I won't be buying for another two weeks or so, but hopefully it will drop down again - a few other retailers do have it for £490 though.

I'm sure modern appliances aren't built as well as they were 50 years ago, like a lot of things. Nowadays if something breaks you are expected to just throw it away and buy another!