Friday Night Install

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by HDPete, May 4, 2007.

1. HDPete

HDPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I haven't been drinking... yet...

I have installed otheros and rebooted with the YDL DVD in the drive. It goes through the various text startup screens and pauses at kboot.

If I then leave it, it boots into Anaconda installation where I can select the Keyboard layout. The mouse and keyboard are functioning at this point.

When I select 'Next', the button is pressed in but remains pressed and the installation doesn't go any further. I can't go 'back'. If I press the power button on the PS3, YDL carries out a graceful shutdown - so it hasn't completely frozen.

What am I doing wrong?

:lease:

2. HDPete

HDPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Further info:
    The USB drive has the otheros.bld & otheros.self in the \ps3\otheros directory.

There isn't a network connection. The latest attempt at instal has frozen at the 'Loading gelic_net driver...' screen.

Could it be a lack of n/wk causing this?

3. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lack of network should be fine, v5.0 installed for me like that. Maybe a bad download or burn?

4. HDPete

HDPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm going through a full format of the HDD, whereas I did Quick format before. Don't think it'll make a difference, but at least I know it's completely fresh.

The keyboard is a PS2 keyboard going through a ps2 to usb converter. It's all just serial signals and the keyboard works up until the 'Next' screen.

Will try a direct USB keyboard tomorrow (after the format completes (3h55m!!)).

Thanks for your help

5. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The format type makes no difference,it just seems your keyboard isn't recognised by Linux.