• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Friday fun: If you could flawlessly 4K/HDR/Atmos an older movie, which would you choose and why?

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
So, we are talking a clean 4K WCG HDR image with little to no grain and a ground-up do-over of the soundtrack in glorious, reference-quality Dolby Atmos, DTS:X or Auro 3D...

You get one and one only, so no lists. Choose!

carpman0401

Established Member
Ridley Scott’s masterpiece - ALIEN.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Bah Humbug. Only 1 :mad:

Have to go with my No 1 then. Jaws.

The grain has to stay though ;)

the thing wnn

Prominent Member
why little to no grain? if it was filmed on film stock it has film grain? that should be kept as part of any remastering efforts? I thought in this day and age we had gone past people wanting to DNR the hell out of films that are grainy? :(

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
why little to no grain? if it was filmed on film stock it has film grain? that should be kept as part of any remastering efforts? I thought in this day and age we had gone past people wanting to DNR the hell out of films that are grainy? :(

That's not what I was getting at. Lots of people hate grain and you can't really get the most out of 4K where heavy grain exists. This is a hypothetical: That it has no grain, not DNRing till everyone looks like a mannequin. ;)

the thing wnn

Prominent Member
That's not what I was getting at. Lots of people hate grain and you can't really get the most out of 4K where heavy grain exists. This is a hypothetical: That it has no grain, not DNRing till everyone looks like a mannequin. ;)

Still think I'll pass as grain is an inherent part of 'older' films that were filmed on film stock, thats how they were meant to look. So if they were grainy on release, I still want that grain there.
4K can do grain very nicely indeed (yes some titles have been a bit iffy)

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Basic Instinct so can pause that scene clearly :D

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom