1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday afternoon every day at the LG assembly plant?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by freshcheese, Oct 31, 2005.

1. freshcheese

freshcheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now on my third LG 26lx2r, and this one is faulty too. Faults so far have been:

TV1: DVI input didn't work properly, claiming to be an anlogue display for a digital connection and vice-versa. This took a lot of sorting out with Comet's customer "services".

TV2: Had obviously been removed from its box and dropped, with scratches along the top edge and the panel not being held in properly & giving slightly cloudy areas of the picture during dark scenes. It also had a dead pixel. To be fair to LG, could well have been Comet who knackered this one. Took monumental effort to get a refund out of Comet for this one (was sick of trying to deal with them & did not want the prospect of having to deal with them for a third exchange).

TV3: Has a problem with the RGB input where the picture is extremely red & no amount of tweaking will sort it. This one also has the problem with cloudy areas on a fully black picture and the panel seeming to be loose in its mounting.

There have been other subtle differences between these sets - the first one thought it was a 32lx2r (in service menu & EDID data), the second was much darker on the RGB input and only thought it was a 32lx2r in the service menu (EDID data was correct).

All this leads me to think that either the staff at the assembly plant have a few beers at lunchtime and you get something that's a bit random if it's made in the afternoon, or they've been tweeking around with the firmware.

Anyway, I'm now a bit disillusioned from these experiences with my 1st LCD TV, and am regretting that I got rid of my trusty old Sony 29" 4:3 CRT so quickly. Am wondering what to do next - do I go for yet another replacement LG, or look at something else like the Samsung? Main reason I went for the LG is because it has two digital inputs - something that seems to be pretty rare at the moment. From some of the other threads on here, it sounds like there are a few people who've been having problems (other than the tearing) and that's putting me off it (aside from it only having the one digital input). Main criteria are that it should have a PC input (VGA or pref DVI/HDMI), RGB via SCART and HDMI.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think you are right about any TVs made in the afternoon after a few beers!, that would explain a lot!

Having perused this forum for about a month now I have come to the conclusion that LCD TVs seem to be getting very problematic.

I bought my LE40R51B after reading this forum and the only problems people were experiencing with it at that time were the tearing issue, but now mine has developed a loud buzz and a damn stuck blue pixel. Others have had pixel processing faults where the screen goes mainly red, blue or green and then theres the oval lights problem plus those that try to do the firmware update only to find the mainboard wont accept it.

I know that samsung is shifting huge quantities of these things but there are more and more stories coming out of faults, whether its them rushing to produce to satisfy demand I dont know but Im awaiting my 3rd engineer visit to sort my buzzing psu, Im not holding up much faith in a successful repair so will be then requesting a replacement but the only problem is that as ive had a 40" TV now, I cant really go for a smaller one and the other 40"ers out there are more expensive than the samsung and I cannot justify paying any more money