• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fri evening bughunt

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Some bug captures from yesterday. :)
All single shots. No cropping.

Weevil on the move

ISO400, 1/30, f/9, 65mm, 2:1 magnification

Weevil spinning helplessly on end of spider's silk

ISO400, 1/30, f/11, 65mm, 1:1 magnification

Fly on Harebell

Another Fly

Harvestman 1.5x

ISO400, 1/30, f/10, 65mm, 1.5:1 magnification

Harvestman 5x

ISO100, 1/250, f/6.3, 65mm, 5:1 magnification

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I like the fly on a harebell for the colours. The harvestman is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. All great shots.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
#4 looks like it may have had a bit to drink :laugh:

I'm amazed you can spot these little bugs, do you go round looking through your lens or do you spot them with the naked eye and then hone in?

onefivenine

Prominent Member
#4 looks like it may have had a bit to drink :laugh:

I'm amazed you can spot these little bugs, do you go round looking through your lens or do you spot them with the naked eye and then hone in?

Would bump into things going round looking through the lens - the total DOF is a couple of millimetres at no more than 4 inches away!

I eyeball the critters for size which lets you judge what magnification will fill the frame best, and then compose them through the viewfinder.

For the 5x shots like the harvestman I generally lean the end of the lens directly on the tree surface itself or on my fingertips with my hand resting on the tree.

Tobers

Prominent Member
Looks like a very good haul there. The harvestman is totally wierd looking - very alien. I think I like the weevil shot the best, but all lovely & well lit.

bodoman

Distinguished Member
I have stopped commenting on Bug photographs as we seem to be suffering from bug overload lately, they are all excellent though.

But have to admit i really like the first one of the weevil, great photograph:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom