Freview TV No Analogue Sound

Russell_S

Hi, rather a strange problem here.

I have just installed a 22in LCD TV (Tesco Technika 22-880) in my son's bedroom. Everything is fine except that there is no sound on the analogue TV channels but the Freeview ones are fine. This is causing a problem because I have the SKY RF signal passing round the house and so I can see the Sky picture fine but there is no sound.

I have spoken to Tesco's technical line and was told that as this is a newer generation of TV it doesn't have an analogue tuner in it and is only digital. No this sounded a bit suspect to me because I can pick up the analogue picture fine.

So, I just wondered what anyone on here thought about this. Does their explanation sound plausible or was I being fobbed off. Basically they are saying that as the TV is not faulty and is working to spec they cannot exchange it as faulty.

Many thanks

Russell

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
If you can see the picture it must have an analogue tuner. The tuner is most likely not set to work with PAL I. Different variations of PAL use a different frequency for the sound carrier. Check the menus for either a UK set up option or a menu to change to PAL I (Most likely PAL B/G is selected).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL#PAL-B.2FG.2FD.2FK.2FI

Russell_S

Thanks for that, you were absolutely spot on.

I tried the argument with the lady on the phone that as I was receiving an analogue picture then the TV had an analogue tuner. However she just started talking absolute nonsense and I don't like arguing with someone until I'm confident I know I'm in the right.

Anyway, thanks for you quick help.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom