Freview Software Updates

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by pwiles1968, Sep 20, 2003.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Are these automatic over the air or do you have to do it yourself I am thinking of EPG when it is upgraded to 24Hr or 7 day.:confused: :confused:

2. resurrected

resurrected

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on two things.

1) the particular box and its current software capability to autoupdate. Most can do this these days.

2) The box supplier's posting the software for update over the air. So for example (an old one) any ITV-Digital boxes have no hope of an update (includes Goodmans GDB1):thumbsdow . Most other boxes are expected to be supported from vendors comments. The DTVA I believe already has the EPG capabilities. The NetGem I would expect to update via the web, since that is how its already done for some minor fixes and peripheral support.

DTG are now managing the OAD process so they should post the schedules on their website DTG

Really they should also post this via the freeview website and via some of the Text services (BBCi and/or Teletext). This has been felt by some vendors to be commercially sensitive. Personally, that versus p!$$!ng off your customers I would post the info. Word of mouth is still a very powerful force in this market. This and the Digital Spy websites are prime examples of this. They have heavily influenced how people have made their choices and how they in turn will advise others (with no web access) as to what box to get.

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am looking for a box for my father in law and once I put it in I wanted to leave it, was considering the Philips DTR 1500 or if he wants DAB also the Goodman’s GDB5DAB, would these be OK.

These are new on the market so I assumed they would carry latest feature. Other suggestions are welcome.

4. vdub

vdub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as to how up to date the philips DTR 1500 is, im not sure
    when i go into the menu and check software. it has

current software 0032 01/01/2001
    new software no new software detected

5. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You can only download a software upgrade during the weeks specified at the DTG website referred to above. The schedule changes every week, and is updated fortnightly.

I recently upgraded my Grundig GRP6000 (Thomson DVT1100), but had to power it off and on again before it would recognise there was an update available to download - took about a minute, if that :).

6. vdub

vdub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it would be good if i could upgrade my box, i have been to the website but carnt find the information, the website doesnt work to well for me. could you direct me to the upgrade info with a link

7. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This phillips box never gets software updates so anyone looking for regular updates had better look elsewhere.

Personally I'm not bothered because it seems to work ok for me at least.

8. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I too am interested in downloading a software update for my freeview box. I have visited the website in the link above but can't seem to find the schedule anywhere. Is it possible for someone to post the exact link so that I know what section of the website it is on? This would be a great help and if it helps at all I have a Pioneer box.

Thankyou :)

James

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a Panasonic TU-CT20 and last night I received a message on screen telling me there was a sofware update.
    I downloaded the update and the thing chugged away for about 10 minutes and then switched itself off.
    When I powered it back up again, I had to re-do the initial set-up/channel search. Lo & behold it picked-up the ITVs/C4 group, which I never had before via Freeview. :)
    Not sure what, if anything else has changed, but I'm pleased enough that I can get movies on C4 in 'proper' widescreen now.

10. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Direct link to download schedule here :)

11. montsett

montsett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the over air updates does the box have to be tuned in to a specific channel?
    :confused:
    montsett

12. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sort of. The box needs to be tuned to the right multiplex. I believe that's mux 1 (the mux carrying BBC 1, BBC2, BBC3/CBBC and BBC News 24) for most boxes. Some updates are sent using the SDN multiplex (mux A) for certain boxes. The manufacturer of your box should be able to advise on this.

You can find a download schedule for the mux 1 engineering channel here.