Fresh (real) GTA6 Information

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what seems to be the first time, Rockstar has officially announced that they’re well into development of the next GTA game.

Almost posted as an afterthought to the end of the latest community update blog, there is:

What’s Next​

With the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series. With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway. We look forward to sharing more as soon as we are ready, so please stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for official details.

On behalf of our entire team, we thank you all for your support and cannot wait to step into the future with you!

Of course there’s no concrete information or release quarter yet. But it’s something official and that’s a start.

Makes me wonder how far along they actually are though. If they’ve only just announced it, are they really that far in to development or still just tinkering with ideas.

Makes me wonder how far along they actually are though. If they’ve only just announced it, are they really that far in to development or still just tinkering with ideas.

Well, I think they were about 6 years into developing RDR2 before they dropped the bombshell announcement almost out of nowhere, if memory serves me correctly.

Of course, we can't use that as a measure for difinitively trying to work out how far down the path they are in terms of development, but I get the feeling that they haven't just started going off the wording they used (well underway).

I'd be thinking they are at least 3-4 years into it, and I think I recall someone posting a screenshot on Reddit a couple of years ago of R* allegedly of a recruitment advertisement looking for voice actors for an unnamed and undisclosed at the time, future R* project, that was shot down in flames that was quickly removed by R*. Maybe they were onto something after all.

So all in all, I'd say yeah, at least 3-4 years in development so far in my opinion. Maybe we'll get a "leaked" map in the same way this one was released:

RDR2.jpg

I don't think we'll see a release for at least another 18 months, maybe longer, but it could be that we get some titbits drip fed well before then at least.

That map has places from Red Dead on it. If it is genuine are they trying to merge the worlds? Interesting.

Edit: just realised that IS the map from RDR2. I thought you were saying this was leaked for GTA6.

Last edited:
Read the post again

Maybe we'll get a "leaked" map in the same way this one was released

Im not sure Rockstar will want to leak a map before an announcement. At least RDR2 was a mostly know map because it was extending the first one.

Read the post again

Im not sure Rockstar will want to leak a map before an announcement. At least RDR2 was a mostly know map because it was extending the first one.

They've announced that they are working on the next instalment, and the RDR2 map that was leaked wasn't the one from RDR1. In fact, it wasn't until they started inviting members of the gaming press in to preview limited gameplay that it was confirmed that the old map (New Austin only) was included.

cant believe its been nearly 10 years since GTA V came out, and I wouldnt be the least surprised if a Sept 2023 release date for GTAVI is then a major part of the release plan,

and from what I remember of the previous games first Rockstar confirmed announcements, as opposed to the fan base rumours, I mean everyone assumes Read Dead Redemption 3 is in the works too at the moment but I doubt we'll see or hear any official noise about it for another 5 years.

but when the official announcements start, the game was always well into its development cycle, not complete and subject to loads more testing and development and changes for sure and still a good 18 months away from a release, but there was enough to put together a decent game trailer showing more than just a few random clips, and enough of date on it, so its not just a logo coming soon on the never never and weve just started thinking about this game style, its this is in production now to coin a movie term.

and it has to be, because any official announcement is going to impact Take Twos stock price, and investors are looking at that 23/24 time period already.

I mean it cant be that close to a game trailer release, because I think theyd have tried to drop one for the Superbowl, as I think that would have blown everyones minds, especially with Snoop and Dr Dre in the halftime show line up.

its assumed E3 this year, even if its a virtual again, will be held in June sometime, that might be a good date to expect things to start to drop.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom