Fresh install - WIN XP --Drivers.

EVADER147

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, just done fresh install of windows xp home edition on an old pc.. Compaq Evo D500. Has Geforce FX5200 AGP 64MB Graphics card installed and only 640 mb of Ram. On Boot i keep getting message Drivers required .. for Multimedia Video Controller. This is the only device in Device Manager with the yellow triangle/question mark. I have uninstalled the graphics card driver and re-installed from Nvidia site. But no change , Still missing Multimedia Video Controller Driver. Anybody know what the hell this is, it`s doing my head in.
Also ... When I play a dvd , it plays perfect , video and sound. But when I go onto youtube it`s choppy and words are out of sinc with pictures. What I would like to know is ... is this due to the missing Drivers or the low Ram or is it the card. If anyone can help please. Thank you. :lease:
Pc is SFF. Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you install the Intel chipset drivers, if no go to Intel website then install driver scanner and let it give you the correct drivers for the motherboard.

multimedia video controller driver could be a variety of things like soundcard, hardware video decoder, something associated with a modem etc.

As to why it sucks at Youtube this is a PC from a long time ago, before H.264 hardware decoding was present in many graphics cards which is the video format Youtube uses. On top of that WinXP doesn't properly support H.264 hardware decoding either through graphics cards.

You could try logging into the HTML5 portal of Youtube and enable that, this will make Youtube use WebM video standard which might be easier for the CPU in the old PC to handle. Use Firefox or Google Chrome to browse Youtube with HTML5 video.

For any HP/Compaq machine your first stop should be their support site for the drivers required.

Hi, just done fresh install of windows xp home edition on an old pc.. Compaq Evo D500. Has Geforce FX5200 AGP 64MB Graphics card installed and only 640 mb of Ram. On Boot i keep getting message Drivers required .. for Multimedia Video Controller. This is the only device in Device Manager with the yellow triangle/question mark. I have uninstalled the graphics card driver and re-installed from Nvidia site. But no change , Still missing Multimedia Video Controller Driver. Anybody know what the hell this is, it`s doing my head in.
Also ... When I play a dvd , it plays perfect , video and sound. But when I go onto youtube it`s choppy and words are out of sinc with pictures. What I would like to know is ... is this due to the missing Drivers or the low Ram or is it the card. If anyone can help please. Thank you. :lease:
Pc is SFF. Thanks.

maf1970 is right, download your drivers from here.
Compaq Evo D500 Small Form Factor -  Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

Hi Guys. Sorry for delayed reply, Big thank you for the suggestions, the HTML5 video portal is up and running and HAS stopped the choppy video. Thanks for the links . Been to Compaq driver centre and downloaded everything I can see which may be linked with the Multimedia Video Controller. But no joy. But .... pc is running fine and even youtube is ok, so just wanted to say thank you for all the help , very much appreciated. Cheers.

Hi Guys. Sorry for delayed reply, Big thank you for the suggestions, the HTML5 video portal is up and running and HAS stopped the choppy video. Thanks for the links . Been to Compaq driver centre and downloaded everything I can see which may be linked with the Multimedia Video Controller. But no joy. But .... pc is running fine and even youtube is ok, so just wanted to say thank you for all the help , very much appreciated. Cheers.
Glad its running okay now:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom