Question Frequency range and (-10dB)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bombastic, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Bombastic

Bombastic
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys! I have very old and shi**y speakers (5): 110 Hz – 25 kHz (at –16 dB); 130 Hz – 22 kHz (at –10 dB) and the sub: 32 – 300 Hz (at –16 dB); 38 – 240 Hz (at –10 dB). I bought a second hand Pioneer VSX-527 and it has no setup mic so I have to do it manually. I understand that if my speakers are 110hz I need to set the crossover to 120hz. So far so good. But what do these (-10dB) (-16dB) mean for the frequency range and how is the min of the range affected (e.g., how much is it going to be at 0dB)? I just want to know for setting the crossover...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. Bombastic

Bombastic
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that my options are: 50; 80; 100; 150 and 200Hz... Which one should I select?

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,368
    I think you are confusing the EQ adjustments you can make to each speaker with the crossover settings? The frequency bands you are seeing are there to allow you to adjust how the speakers sound by increasing and or decreasing the associated frequency bands. If you'd the mic then this would have been done automatically as part of the calibration to both ensure each speaker sounds the same as well as adjusting their output in relation to your room's acoustics to match an ideal frequency curve or flat response. You can't really do this by ear and there's no correct answer to your question asking what you need to set the EQ to.

The crossovers for your speakers should be 120Hz.

I'd maybe suggest you buy yourself a replacement mic.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  4. Bombastic

Bombastic
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's under "X.Over" in the "Manual SP Setup" and my frequency options are only 50, 80, 100, 150, 200 :) I'm from a small country and I can get mics only from other units (I've already checked the sites) but I've read that it's not the same, because every unit's software is meant to match the mic in the box. International shipping will cost me more than the mic. So I guess the question is; 100Hz ot 150Hz, considering the lack of 120Hz option? Thx for the reply :)

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,368
    150Hz.