Frequency crossover

Seanrose4217

Novice Member
Evening Folks,

just purchased a Cambridge audio SX120 sub. I have already set my crossovers for all other speakers (normally 10hz above Their Lowest) and had my sub setting on my receiver at 100hz..

Does this frequency setting on the new sub override the receiver? Not entirely sure how it works

John7

The sub's crossover should be disabled (if possible) or set to it's highest setting. Let the AVR determine the crossover frequency.

Seanrose4217

Novice Member
Thanks John. You can’t disable it but you can set it to 150hz. I will try that! I didn’t know what would override which. Just for info, would you set the crossover for your sub 10hz (or as close as your receiver will let you get) above the lowest frequency range like the others? I think with some better bass management I can definitely get more from it

John7

No, set the sub's crossover as high as it will allow. The AVR will determine what frequencies are sent. Don't forget, LFE in movies has quite a wide range and it's best not to impede that by artificially limiting the sub.

If you like Bass and want improved performance, you would need to invest in a more powerful sub with a much larger speaker (or 2) to move more air.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom