1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

french soundtrack on english language dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by foxtrot, Feb 14, 2002.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is more of a question before I get started - don't have any equipment as yet.

I'm English and live in France, my partner is French; ideally we'd like to be able to choose both English and French soundtracks on a dvd.
    Does this depend on the disc itself; is it standard to have both soundtracks on all discs, or just some? If so, how can I tell which ones? What about subtitles?

Lots of questions for a first post.

Thanks.

foxtrot

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I assume that many FRench discs will have English soundtracks, but another option is to buy a Canadian Region 1 disc. They normally have at least something in the way of dual language soundtracks or subtitles. However, there will be variations on a disc by disc basis.

One supplier of R1 Canadian discs is www.play.com

Good luck.

P.S. You may get a better response in the General or DVD Talk forums (but you can't cross post), so you will have to delete your post and put it in another forum. See how you get on in terms of responses, however.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    It will vary from disc to disc and also country to country.

A lot of the discs over here in Spain have English,Spanish and/or French/Italian soundtracks (not all in 5.1 sound though!) most have various subtitle languages.

On the disc packaging should be the languages & formats supported.

A few of the Canadian R1 discs have a French track as well as the English.

I would imagine in France most of the discs will have English/French tracks and/or subtitles.

cheers

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    take care with buying french region 2 dvd's. one's i've seen of french films often do not have any subtitling.

are u interested in buying "diva" with no english subtitles ? no ?
    thought not.

(and i wouldn't have done, either, if i'd known).

5. Wendelius

Wendelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Foxtrot,

I'm a Belgian living in UK and the problem is somewhat reversed for me. :)

Anyway, do not be too concerned as far as non French DVD's are concerned. 99% of the time, you will get both the English and French soundtrack (the french even sometimes have the annoying, IMO, habit of proposing a DTS soundtrack for the french dub and not for the English track (e.g. Abyss, End of Days, Hannibal, ...)) and, obviously, you get French and English subtitles to go with the soundtracks.

Some non english releases (e.g. In the mood for love) don't have a French dub but offer both French and English as subtitles.

Yet other non English releases might have only the original language and French subtitles (for instance, I just ordered Abre Los Ojos (recently remade as Vanilla Sky) which has only a Spanish soundtrack and French subtitles).

Where you're most likely to have a problem is for French or Belgian releases of French movies. Those usually have different distributors in UK, for instance, and so the French editor will NOT include English subtitles. It's not always the case. Out of 25 or so French movies I own, about 10 are subtitled in English. but that's not the majority.

If English subtitles for those French movies is important, you might be better off ordering them from an English site or, if your player is multi-region, probably from Canada, as suggested.

The only pity is that French releases of movies are sometimes better than their English counterparts (L'appartement is DTS, so are Taxi and Taxi2, Amelie comes standard as a 2 discs edition while this is a more expensive edition in UK). Discs are also generally cheaper on the continent. Once again, this is not an absolute rule but more a general tendency.

But remember, for non french movies, you should be OK. Just make sure you check the disc specifications before buying. Amazon is sometimes a bit lacking in that kind of information. I often buy from www.dvdzone2.com and they are pretty good for that.

Hope this helps,
    Wendelius