French plane lost over Atlantic...228 on board

Simba

Distinguished Member
Just saw this on BBC News: doesnt look good, hopefully nothing serious.

link

hdsport

Ahh I hate to read stuff like this

It is very late arriving if it was just a radar blip I fear the worst!!

Anyone know whom hates the French these days or is anyone western a target??
Or just as (if not more) likely it's an accident...there is this post 9/11 fashion of immediately thinking terrorism e.g. that steam pipe explosion in NY when every news channel was desperately hoping it was a terrorist attack!

Razor

How scary is that. I hope they are all ok.

Ultima

Just been reading about this on SkyNews....doesn't sound good at all but I just hope they have touched down at another airport and it's yet to be reported.

Junglist

I hope the plane is ok. What's weird is that I have been on a 'Lost' marathon over the last 2 weeks and was also dreaming about a plane disappearing last night. Freaky!!

Singh400

Distinguished Member
:( How do you lose a plane? Surely they must have radar or something? Doesn't sound too good...

IronGiant

The radar transponder stopped working unexpectedly, and there will be little standard radar coverage mid atlantic so it just disappeared from the radar screens. They're hoping it was a simple transponder fault, but they've apparently had no other contact either.

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
For something to dissapear with immediate effect with no distress call or radio then a catastophic failure with immediate ramifications must have happened.

My mind goes to terrorism but that may be over reacting in todays political climate.

Zeromajor

Or just as (if not more) likely it's an accident...there is this post 9/11 fashion of immediately thinking terrorism e.g. that steam pipe explosion in NY when every news channel was desperately hoping it was a terrorist attack!
I doubt very much anyone hoped that was an attack.

It's a very strange one indeed.

No mayday calls or anything which means it was more than likely a sudden loss. Doesnt sound good at all. Hope there are survivors.

hdsport

I doubt very much anyone hoped that was an attack.
Perhaps desperately hoping was a little strong but there's a clip of Simon McCoy (I think) on News 24 continually talking about similarities with 9/11 etc.

Even if they weren't hoping it was an attack they certainly seemed to be enjoying being in the middle of 'big story' rather than play it down.

EDIT found that clip...in an episode of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2sZPOFSu1o&feature=related&fmt=18

5.50 onwards note contrast between the graphics and what the presenter is saying...

Anyway enough on this it just interests me the first thought of someone would be terrorism.

Last edited:

emo72

i just caught a snippet on the radio something along the lines of

the captain had been in touch by satellite reporting heavy turbulence.

now i caught the tail end of the report and i know they definitely mentioned

satellite, which is odd. so there is some hope.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
according to the BBC news article they wouldve ran out of fuel a long time ago so it's not looking to good at all....:(

i just caught a snippet on the radio something along the lines of

the captain had been in touch by satellite reporting heavy turbulence.

now i caught the tail end of the report and i know they definitely mentioned

satellite, which is odd. so there is some hope.
Yah, just reading on the BBC they said they had radio'd in to say they had an eletcrical problem after heavy turbulance. Looking grim now i think. All depends on whether the pilot was able to do a controlled landing and people survived or the worst it lost all control and smacked into the water.

Shudder to think. Hope people are ok though.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
It really doesn't look good. If they managed to ditch, which is highly unlikely in the Atlantic, they would have emergency beacons etc. It wouldn't be the same as the airliner landing in the hudson, the sea would be rough - no point of reference to judge distance from ground etc.

pure_geordie

Apparently the plane may have been struck by lightening.

..Developing StoryAir France says missing plane could have been struck by lightning
REUTERS
:eek:

Last edited:

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Oh, not good. I Hope it has a happy ending.

IronGiant

Reuters quote:
Air France said the airliner sent an automatic message reporting an electrical fault at 0214 GMT, roughly 15 minutes after the plane flew through a stormy area with strong turbulence.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Still hoping.

It looks like turbulance caused an electric fault, which presumably caused a failure in the engines, radio, etc.

As they'd passed the turbulance 15 minutes ago, and the site of the problem was close to the equator, it's possible the weather/sea weren't too bad. It's not completely impossible that they managed a safe landing at sea, but that's not likely.

Steve W

Wild Weasel

Planes get struck by lightning all the time, but it shouldn't do any harm to vital systems as they're all shielded. It's basically a flying Faraday cage anyway.

Iccz

Planes get struck by lightning all the time, but it shouldn't do any harm to vital systems as they're all shielded. It's basically a flying Faraday cage anyway.
Sure - lightning strikes on planes don't normally damage the plane, but can leave a burn mark. The lightning travels through the shell of the plane and sometimes into other areas. Sometimes the energy has damaged electronic equipment in the plane, but very few actually take enough damage to cause a major problem with flying the plane. The shell of the aircraft can usually dissipate the lightning enough to prevent problems but it is not guaranteed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett