1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

french films

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mattjames, Mar 21, 2001.

1. mattjames

mattjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently looking to buy La Haine and Nikita.

What are the best available versions on R1 or R2? Does anyone know details of extras etc?

I've noticed that a box set of Nikita/Leon is on its way. Does anyone know any details of this? Will I be missing out on a definitive version of Leon by buying this set?

Help would be most appreciated

Matt

2. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    La Haine is coming out R2 (UK) very soon. But is a bit of a crap transfer.

4. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popester

"...erm... the 'definitive version' of Léon came out on DVD a couple of years ago, in R2(Japan)(NTSC).
    The R1(USA)(NTSC) disc came out last year.
    "

What's wrong with that statement? The original poster asked: "Will I be missing out on a definitive version of Leon by buying this set?"

Incidentally, the French do this a lot: slap two or three previously-issued-as-singles DVDs in a cardboard sleeve - these are not new releases, they are the same old same old...

As for the 'definitive version' of Léon - until the recent release of the R1 DVD, the Japanese DVD was - by far - the most complete version issued on DVD anywhere (except Germany, but that DVD was dubbed into German), it is supposed to be even longer than the French 'Director's Cut'...

"There ain't no more to get... Alright, that's not clear - what I meant to say is, simply, that there will not be any other DVD (of Léon) here, there, or anywhere, that is longer (i.e. contains more previously 'cut' material) than the Japanese, respectively US disc... and nor will there ever be a full-scale, super-duper, two-disc, ultra-extra, loaded-with-goodies, Special Edition of any Luc Besson movie - at least, if the Maestro has any say in it: he believes that his films should be sufficient in and of themselves (that's from the horse's mouth, that is!)

...an' that's a fact, my good man!...

. . .

[This message has been edited by Hendrik (edited 21-03-2001).]

5. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL back peddle Hendrik, back peddle !!!!

6. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...erm... the 'definitive version' of Léon came out on DVD a couple of years ago, in R2(Japan)(NTSC).

The R1(USA)(NTSC) disc came out last year.

There ain't no more to get...

. . .