freeware dvd video menu editing programs..?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peterc, Aug 28, 2003.

1. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm after a freeware dvd video menu editing program that can link to chapters and the like, to expriment with, before burning to a dvd-r, can any one recomend such a program..?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There are a whole host of applications that can do this for you. But I need to know what your going from! For example if your importing from a DVD-RW (Video Mode) or a DVD+RW then you can import into programmes like TMPG Enc Author or Moviestudio 2. If you going from DVD-RAM or DVD-RW (VR Mode) then you may wish to demux first but, if you don't, you can also import into such programmes.

If your after a specific menu editting programme for the DVD-Video structure recording, i.e not extract the video stream from the VOB, then there are several applications that may suit. Although I need to know your precise requirements first!

3. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd probably be going the route of importing dvd-rw video mode, although being new to this, i'm not quite sure what you mean by dvd-rw(vr mode)..

4. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    Try TMPGEnc DVD Author. you can try it free for 30 days to check it does what you want.

Link

mij

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Seconded. TMPG Enc Author will import DVD-RW (Video Mode) easily. There are other options (e.g. Moviestudio 2) but now there is a decent menu edit function in TMPG Author it gets my vote.

'Video Mode' is whereby the file format is in the same format as a DVD-Video which you buy from the shops (i.e. VOB files). Accordingly it is highly compatible and is ultimately what you want to burn any archiving to in the long run.

'Video Recording Mode' (VRO file format) is a format better suited to recording than the VOB file structure of the above (as it allows Timeslip, Partial Erase etc). It has limited compatibility with existing DVD players.

Accordingly on a set-top recorder most people record in VRO mode onto a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW and then transfer to Video Mode either on a DVD-R or DVD-RW.

6. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your help guys, time to start playing i guess! :)