FreeviewHD DRM back on the table

gbjbaanb

The BBC has been granted provisional approval to introduce copy protection for Freeview HD after they resubmitted an amended plan.

"In view of the fuller submission provided by the BBC, Ofcom is currently minded to approve its request for a multiplex licence amendment subject to consultation responses, on the basis that in principle, content management is a justified objective which ensures that the broadest range of HD content is made available to citizens and consumers," said Ofcom's statement.

However, its not too late yet - you can submit your comment and tell them you'd like to be able to record broadcast HD TV.

I'm sure the 'content providers' will continue to sell content to the BBC, ITV etc if this is not implemented, its a bit like Phil Collins insisting he'd leave the country if the conservatives won that election - he wouldn't either. They'll still take our licence fee money (or advertising) and sell us the content, but we'll be able to record it and keep it.

BTW: the consultation paper is available.

Last edited:

pinnocchio

The Beeb haven't been granted approval, the decision won't be made till after the consultation in April.

SO GET YOUR RESPONSES IN!!!!

This will be the thin end of the wedge for DRM on the Beeb, once the wall is broken what will the program owners insist on next?

petet66

Hd's already started broadcasting, it's supposed to be in place everywhere for the world cup, the hardware is (allegedly) being manufactured as I type - and the BBC want to change the spec in April (or later). So hardware decoder manufacturers might have kit that's out of date and useless before it's even released? Farcical.

prking

Hd's already started broadcasting, it's supposed to be in place everywhere for the world cup, the hardware is (allegedly) being manufactured as I type - and the BBC want to change the spec in April (or later). So hardware decoder manufacturers might have kit that's out of date and useless before it's even released? Farcical.

No, that's not the case. If implemented, it means that boxes which don't implement rights management will not see the details in the EPG for the programme and therefore unable to set a timer. You will still be able to view the programme by changing to the channel. As far as I know, the boxes/TVs coming to market already have rights management built-in and will require only an over the air upgrade to the EPG.

Personally, I think its a difficult decision.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
It's all a bit of a joke isn't it:)

Are the BBC looking to limit competition in hardware or looking to access cheaper imports if DRM measures are a contractual element or are they simply going though the motions knowing that like Freesat boxes there will be a work around which bypasses HDCP type content controls.
Should be BBC and the governments regulator be looking to support the global corporations and limit the viewers rights to how they handle broadcast content in an age where technology is always playing catch up and on the surface a total waste of money and effort.

It's interesting in why the BBC seem to be leader in this proposal, surely as a direct public funded corporation they should be championing full free use rights, perhaps if they and ITV etc etc did not crumble in regards to satellite FTA limitations for mainly US content then that market would be more open and flexible so by once again bowing down to content third party content owners will we see DTT become more restrictive.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom