1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Jafferolli, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Jafferolli

Jafferolli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anyone know if different freeview boxes produce different picture qualities ? are some better than others ? :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes - some are considerably better than others. The Sony is the best I've seen.

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    The picture quality is very similar, but the software is different, affecting how fast and the clarity of now/next when changing channels.
    Also the main difference is the connections.
    What will you be connecting it up with, scart ect, and what to.

Nigel

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Have to dispute that - I have been through several boxes now and the Sony is noticeably better.

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I thought that nobody could dissagree with "similar"

Nigel

6. Jafferolli

Jafferolli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have got at the moment a free Freeview box with my new TV, its a Sagem and I dont think the picture is as clear as my old Panasonic box, especially on the channels shot inside studios like 'QVC'. I thought it might be because of the size of the tv ( 45" rear projection ) Its connected by scart lead into AV2 on the TV, I have the DVD recorder into scart AV1. :lesson:

7. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I personaly have had a philips and a GB3 and both pictures are the same.
    Nigel

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have had a Pace Ondigital box; a pace twin and a Topfield. There are slight differences between them all. However I think other factors can confuse the issue. e.g. deficiences that dont show up on a small TV are going to be exposed by a 50" one. I have two Topfields one on a Panny 36" CRT and one running a 30" LG LCD monitor; the pictures are of course quite different.
    All Channels do not transmit at the same quality and can vary a lot between different programmes and over time.
    As mentioned above cabling etc can have an influence.
    Changes in Firware can effect picture quality as well as features. e.g. it is commonly agreed that the Pace Twin picture was intially very soft and this was altered in an early update.
    My girl friend who is very sensitive to these things (and everything else :) )immediatelly noticed a difference when the Topfield replaced the Pace Twin; darker; black more black; and sharper. Unfortunatelly these were not things she liked although many probably would; so perhaps one persons quality picture is not the same as anothers anyway. Actually with some adjustments to the TV could get the Toppy looking more like the Pace as she wanted.

Richard