1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by steelee, Apr 15, 2005.

1. steelee

steelee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me freeview has the bandwith to broadcast Hdtv? :devil:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Remove half the channels from the current line up then yes:)

However given that they will all be on longish term contracts and the platform is mpeg2 based there will be no High Def domestic channel for many years.
    When analogue is shutdown there will be more capacity and perhaps a viable move to a mpeg4 platform which combined would make HD a more realistic option.

The downside of having a platform up and running before many other countries:)
    Now if DTT was being launched now then perhaps like France HD would be a consideration alongside a SD service.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    There will be plenty of bandwidth when analogue shutsdown

4. steelee

steelee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So in reality we are looking at 2012 at best?

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Though the government spectrum plan for analogue switch off involves freeing up a chunk or two of spectrum nationwide to sell off - restricting the existing Freeview muxes to a smaller range of RF slots.

Whether this spectrum is sold off, or re-designated for HD, is anyone's guess - it could be sold off for HD I guess!

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Easy really - we ask the politicians and vote accordingly - I am still waiting to hear back

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    ..... if the government decide to allocate it to TV ! The bandwidth could well be sold off to fill the government coffers. Since the average politician knows far more about money than he does about technology, I wouldn't like to bet which way it would go. How much of the old Band I and Band III was allocated to public services ? DAB ??

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yep money talks.
    Unless they specify certain blocks of capacity for certain services it'll all go to the highest bidder for whatever they want to use it for.

9. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We may see HDTV on Freeview before analogue switch-off. The BBC could broadcast 1-2 channels of HDTV at 8-10 Mbps as soon as MPEG-4 DTT receivers are available.

Recent advances in compression technology have allowed a further two 24hr streams to be added to Crown Castle Muxes C and D, which will bring the total number of 24hr streams to 6 per mux. If the BBC did likewise, Cbeebies/BBC4 and one of the interactive channels could be moved from Mux B to Mux 1, freeing up enough space for at least one channel of HDTV on Mux B. Further bandwidth savings could be made by switching one or both of the BBC muxes from 16 QAM to 64 QAM. This would increase the available bandwidth from 18Mbps to 24Mbps per mux - more than enough for two channels of HDTV. (While switching to 64 QAM may reduce the signal quality in fringe reception areas, that hasn't stopped Muxes 2 and A from using it, and they will soon have 17 24hr streams between them!). When a BBC HDTV channel finally does get up and running on Sky Digital, I think we have the right as licence payers to demand a parallel service on Freeview.

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I am working on the premise that I will vote for the party who promises Terrestrial HDTV