Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Freeview: Worth changing bog standard scart?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by CraigKORE, Feb 24, 2005.

1. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my Sharp 26inch LCD for the bedroom the other day. Connecting it to Matsui Freeview box using RGB but I'm just using the standard cheap scart that came with it. Is it worth me upgrading to something better with gold connectors ect? Have seen a Monster one in Comet for 100 notes but don't want to spend anywhere near that! :eek: They did have a few cheaper ones though...

Advice appreciated folks. :thumbsup:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Try www.tvcables.co.uk.
    The Thor range seems to be quite highly thought of. Nothing really wrong with monster cables (they are good) apart from the vastly inflated prices.

3. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Another good source for well priced cables (as well as being v friendly and efficient) is www.cableuniverse.co.uk.

Most people agree that spending anything above £20/30 is probably not worth it as the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

ALI

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I upgraded by from a cheap (free) scart to a Thor scart, which cost under £20. Picture looked a lot better.

5. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the bog standard SCARTs on my system forever, but then changed to Monster SCARTs when I got my 505, and the improvement in the PQ is quite startling! Would definitely recommend it.

Niraj

6. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was just considering the same move myself, I notice a lot of travelling RGB artefacts on the screen close up, which I could only really attribute to cable after changing my scart switch for a Pio amp. I think 3 cables should be sufficient, so I'm looking at about 50-60 quid to do the whole lot, right?

I saw some pretty good SCART cables in a local shop that was going out of business, took them to the counter and didnt get any service for 10 minutes! So I walked out, both our losses now I guess.

7. snowgoon

snowgoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are these - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SC001.html - at £5.99 considered BAD cables? Says they are fully screened.

Would much rather pay £5.99 than £20!

Also, a lot of places offer high quality scarts but have 10m of cable, surely the signal degrades? And if you have a "traditional" TV over DVD over Sat/Cable setup then you only need a 1m cable. Or, again, am I missing something?

(Note: still newish to AV, so pardon my ignorance)

8. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Generally, stick to the shortest possible length that you need. Of the brands that we sell the only manufacturer that sells 10m Scarts as standard is QED. I myself, as well as QED, recommend that you do not go any longer than this if using RGB. Composite video, can go longer, but as the quality is worse to start with degredation is less of an issue.

QED's P2105 (fully wired 0.5m) is a good sensible choice at not too much money, P2110 (fully wired 1.0m) is also available as are longer lengths.

9. snowgoon

snowgoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHOA - £25!

You serious? I think I'm in the wrong place - I understand the need for shielded cables but I'm not a mega enthusiast. If I spent £100 of cables the wife'd kill me!

I think I'll stick with the ones from tvcables - should be better than my current unshielded cables at any rate.

Thanks for the response though Filbert, appreciated (if slightly shockin)

10. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Well I guess it just goes to show how different people see things differently! I thought the shock value of my post was 0% but obviously you disagree! Good luck with whatever cables you end up using, and don't let the shock of my post deter you too much! :D

11. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    HTML:
    [QUOTE=snowgoon]WHOA - £25!

You serious? I think I'm in the wrong place - I understand the need for shielded cables but I'm not a mega enthusiast. If I spent £100 of cables the wife'd kill me!
    Generally you gets what you pays for - but try getting second hand ones off e-bay. Also, if my experience on hifi audio is anything to go by, the small "one-man-band" outfits may be surprisingly good for the money and might be worth a punt. Also, why not buy 1 decent cable every few months to upgrade more slowly, ie., when you can afford it + the missus is less likely to notice how much you have spent overall !!. :lesson:

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    That old scart lead, I have had that for ages.......

My wife uses a similar argument all the time for shoes, handbags, dresses etc

13. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the replies and advice people... :thumbsup:

Finally just got round to buying one. Went upto a new large B&Q near me and they had a large selection of cables, including most of the Thor range! The 1.5m Thor scart was 23 quid, but I noticed that the size of the connections would have been a bit on the tight side round the back of my LCD. They also had another one which I ended up buying.

Not sure of the exact make as it just said 'Home Cinema' on the package, but all the stuff that the Thor lead mentions on the back this one has pretty mch the exact same spec. Gold plated, shielded, grounded ect.. Has a smaller scart head though so will fit no bother. It was 16 quid.

One thing I was thinking about though - is that the (RF) input to the freeview box is just a basic cable so would I be best going and upgrading that as well to something else? From all the stuff that B&Q had I coudn't see any RF type leads that had the gold plated/shielded stuff, just normal standard ones.

Anyhoo, going to connect it all up st now so will be back with the results soon. :)

14. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    QED's range of broadcast receiver cables (Qunex TTV which is male to male, Qunex RVR which is male to female, Qunex STV for satellite) are exactly that. However, based on your points above, maybe these will be too expensive. Ixos's range of aerial cables are not too bad either, and far cheaper!