1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview with Svideo??

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Johndm, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Do any Freeview boxes have svideo outputs?

Looking to connect one to the svid inputs on my DMRE60, purely to bypass the internal analogue tuner for recording. (although i could monitor pictures and sound thro the E60 to TV).

What about audio.... Do they have phono or optical output?
    Optical would be great, but phono would do, as I could split the outputs to E60 and A/V amplifier.

Can't get a Freeview into the RGB chain, as its err 'all used up' with a single scart DVD player at the top into Panny Digibox into E60 into TV.

regards

2. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware, there is no Freeview box that does a seperate S-video out, although there are several that have a s-video via scart out, which can then be extracted.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    OK, scart to svid lead would sort that, so which boxes will output an svid signal?....:D

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pioneer (£80 Richer Sounds), Sony, Philips and Netgem boxes all do s-video. The Netgem only does it from the tv scart; the others do it from either scart. I think the Pace twin and Humax PVR can also do s-video.

The Sony has Smartlink, which is supposed to be compatible with Panasonic's Q-Link although I've not heard anyone confirm if the two fully interoperate. With the last software update, the Sony will send program titles and control a smartlink compatible recorder, which would be great if it worked with the Panasonic recorders.

The Philips has a syncro-record facility so you can set timers and the Panasonic will automatically switch on and off at the correct times. I believe this is possible with the Pioneer, but I haven't got solid confirmation of that.

The Sony is also 7-day EPG ready. The Pioneer will be made so. Philips have not committed to providing an update for the 7-day EPG.

The Sony has a weird combined toslink/minijack connector for audio out. The Philips has coaxial and the Pioneer has optical digital outs.

I'd probably go for the Sony if I were you, but I wouldn't be 100% confident of the smartlink features working as advertised.

5. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But as I did say, there are no boxes that I am aware of that have a separate S-Video out. Sky+ is the only STB i know that has a separate S-Video out.

One other post asks when HDMI outputs are going to be added to STB's, and I think I need to remind them:
    We haven't even got S-Video separate outs yet, so it's gonna be a while!

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pace Twin passes RGB

Also has SVId mini DIN

Pace FTV ha SVid on Scart

7. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The Pioneer could be favorite........I happen to have £25 of RS vouchers..:smoke:

Could use the optical out into my VA555ES.
    Get a scart to svid/audio L+R lead to plug into my E60.

If I'm correct??? this will allow:-

Recording of Digi terrestial and viewing via my E60.

One thing puzzles me! When I play SVHS tapes into the E60 via a svid cable, they view as colour even though the rest of the scart chain is set to RGB......What am I actually seeing on the TV..is it converted thro the E60 to RGB, or is it just throputting the S-vid signal? The TV tells me its RGB!:confused:

8. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, you can watch freeview via the E60, but beware that audio will be out of sync if you listen directly to the freeview box through its digital outs as the E60 introduces a slight delay in video when it's not in standby. You'll need to use the E60s audio output (digital or scart analogue or phono), or connect the freeview box directly to your tv too (via the other scart output).

Yes, the E60 will convert svideo to RGB if you've set it up to output RGB and the machine is not in standby. In standby it merely passes through the signal which may not be ideal if your tv's RGB scart doesn't accept svideo.

You could buy a scart/svideo/composite/l+r adaptor and use an ordinary scart instead of buying a special lead. Beware that these things are directional - some have a direction switch. Maplins sell these adaptors, but they're a bit overpriced there (around £9-£11). See www.keene.co.uk product KA127SG for the sort of thing I mean.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    The philips DTR1500 has a S Video out. I had problems with the box though so I got a different one.

10. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    John, regarding audio, the Netgem has additional output via a mini-jack or optical out.

:)

11. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I believe the Pioneer can output an s-video signal on both its scarts. The Sony can also output s-video on its second scart but only via smartlink so it can't be manually selected (why?!).

12. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The latest update to the Sony allows you to select s-video independently of smartlink. This update is being re-broadcast this week.

13. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I've got a Pioneer unit and I'm using both scart outputs to feed s-video (and audio) directly into each of my vcrs (D-vhs and s-vhs). The optical output is fed into the av processor.

Brian

14. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Bobones, andy572, leeb, bxd,

Thanx for the replies chaps..

Won't be able to connect freeview directly to my Panny TV, the svid input has a SVHS video connected there, and I really want to keep it for playback, as its a damm good machine. Its a little old now (Panny NVSF90) so only has one scart socket

Maybe I could lose the freeview digital out, and connect to the E60 with a svid scart to s socket and phonos (exactly as I have my SVHS video connected at the moment). Guess that would sort the audio delay out running thro the E60?

Then connect the second scart on the Pioneer (with another svid scart to s socket and phonos) to my SVHS VCR, which uses scart 2 on my TV (SVID).
    I could then watch and/or record thro either the E60 (signal converted to RGB) or SVHS VCR (signal svid throughput to TV)?

bxd, do you get any audio delay running the s signal thro your VCR's, and the audio seperately to you AV amp?

15. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    John,

I don't seem to have any problems with audio delay. My direct view monitor doesn't have a tuner on board, so I use one of the vcrs as a tuner. Since the monitor only has a couple of inputs I tend to feed everything via the av amp rather than directly to the monitor (as you would with a regular set up). Everything is going along the chain Pioneer/vcr/avamp/monitor. I've only had the Pioneer a couple of weeks but I haven't noticed any obvious problems. I've also fed the signal ( again via the vcr and av amp) to a line doubler and onto my crt projector without problem.

I use scart to s-video/audio cables to feed both vcrs for recording purposes(obviously) but I also feed the optical output directly into my av amp so I can access the prologic decoder. I don't seem to have any problems with watching the picture thru the vcr and listening to the digital audio as fed to the processor. The digital audio output does seem to be a bit "better" than the analog audio although this may be due to the analog output level being a bit lower.

Apart from a couple of quick recordings to check out the picture quality onto my D-vhs, I haven't done any "serious" recordings off the Pioneer yet.... although I probably don't do many recordings off Freeview anyway (e.g. widescreen recording of Enterprise) as i don't think the audio quality is up to that of a decent Nicam tuner.

Brian

16. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks Brian,

Think my setup will be very similar to yours, except one SVHS VCR and the E60 DVD recorder.
    If I get any audio delay problems viewing thro my E60, it would be just as easy to watch freeview via my VCR in Svideo.

Regards,

John ( ex Sotonian, now Bedfordian LOL)

bobones

Gonna try the Pioneer with optical, and monitor picture as above.

When recording freeview on the E60, I'm presuming there will be no audio delay on any recorded DVD during playback?

Regards,

John

17. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No delay on recordings. Only when monitoring video through the E60 (not standby though) and listening to audio which hasn't passed through the E60. (If you've got a PIP or split screen tv, you can clearly see the delay introduced by watching live freeview and E60 freeview simultaneously. Some folk have noticed lip sync drifting even when the audio has passed through the E60, but recordings are always spot on.

18. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    As usual, our favourite Hi Fi chain don't have any stock!

Wondering if any of the old Pioneer Ondigital boxes output a svid signal, and do they have 1 or 2 outputs for this?

19. jsheldon

jsheldon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the GF the sony for Christmas, she has a Panasonic TV and Video, so I can confirm the smartlink worked with the Panasonics Q Link or whatever it is called, very neat just press the record button on the sony remote and the Pany Vid starts recording. Only thing is I haven't tested timer recordings with the smartlink yet.

20. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Patient person as I am..:D Picked up a Pioneer box today at Flurrys. No seasonal discount there though..:thumbsdow

Forbidden to install until after the festive season is over, still, gives me time to get those scart to svid/phono leads sorted out..:D

21. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The Humax PVR 8000T has S-Video out to the TV as well as RGB.

This also has a built in HDD.

Excellent product.

Humax also do a STB with no HDD called a F2-FOX T this might also have S-Video check there web site http://www.humaxdigital.com/

22. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I have the older Pioneer OnDigital box and it doesn't appear to have an s-video output so stick with the newer box.

I presume that you'll get some "delay" when you pass a signal into a dvd recorder as it will have to MPEG encode the signal in order to record it. Monitoring the post processing signal from the recorder will show delay when you compare it with the original input signal as Bobones comment suggests. Similarly, if you switch between Freeview and the same channel on analog you'll see that the Freeview picture and sound is delayed compared to the analog signal. I presume that's due to the delay in encoding the output.

Brian

23. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Gonna fix it up tomorrow, slight change in wiring plan due to consultation of telly book o rules etc..:D

Thought about puttin it into thr RGB chain along with DVD, DVD recorder and $ky digibox, but that would defeat the object of getting it, which was to be able to record $ky or freeview while watching the other!

So, going to use S Vid signal via scart to TV AV2, so it will auto switch TV over.
    Split the other output, scart to S Vid/audio L+R into DMRE60 for recording freeview.

Digital audio out to VA555ES. so should have no lip sync probs if watching freeview directly to TV.

My SVHS deck will remain in place directly connected to the third TV S scart, but I will tuck leads from its seperate S vid and phono L+R output under HI FI cabinet, so when I need to copy SVHS video to DVD, I just temporarily connect em to the front sockets of the DMRE60 like a camera..

Lastly, another standard VCR will connect into the SVHS deck with plain audio/phonos, so it will also play through the SVHS one...........

Well thats the plan anyway...:rolleyes:

24. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jsheldon,

Interested to hear that you have the Sony working with your Panny as I haven't yet got my Sony working with my HS2.

Which outputs/inputs are you using on the two boxes and are there any special settings in the setup menus? (I have smartlink selected on the Sony and AV2 set to Ext-1 on the HS2)

Let us know how you get on with timer recordings too.

Cheers,

Chris

25. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The above idea failed..:blush: The TV was confused with the Pioneer Svid signal, as it was putting it out as Svid when run through the E60. So decided not to 'mix' the RGB and Svid signal paths.

Final setup.......

RA82-RGB to $ky Digibox-RGB to DMRE60-RGB to TV scart 1.

Pioneer Freeview-TV SVID scart to TV scart 2.
    Pioneer Freeview-VCR SVID scart split to SVID/L+R phonos into Panny SVHS VCR. VCR Scart to TV scart 3, and SVID/L+R phonos to DMRE60.

This allows......

Watch $ky while recording freeview to SVHS or DVD with S signal.
    Watch Freeview while recording $ky with RGB signal.
    Record from SVHS deck to DVD.
    Watch Freeview without any lip sync problems, as box is connected directly to TV (scart) and to Sony VA555ES (Optical)

Hope this may help anyone with a 'wiring headache'..:smashin:

26. DirkGently

DirkGently
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony VTX-D800U Freeview box and a Panasonic NV-FJ620 Video Recorder and can confirm that the Sony will control the Panasonic video.
    --
    Gary