1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview with s-video out

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by stephen19, Dec 8, 2004.

1. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a thomson box which has a scart output. Now because my tv is running out of scart sockets, I would like to connect via my amp, but this accepts s-video or composite only.

I have tried a scart to phono lead and the composite signal is not as bad as I had feared. I guess we forget that composite was perfectly good enough for lds etc.

I was wondering if I buy a scart to s-video lead, will it pass s-video? I suspect not, I would think it will only pass what the box outputs. Am I right to think that a scart can only carry either rgb or s-video, but not both at the same time because pins are shared? If so, there won't be a s-video signal there because it is being used for rgb.

If it is set to output composite, will it also pass s-video? I fear not, as the setup menu does not have an s-video output option. I haven't got the right lead, so i cannot try it and see.

Is there a freeview box with a proper s-video mini-din socket? Perhaps I should buy a box with progressive out?

Perhaps I should wait for a freeview box with top-up tv and dvd burner ;)

Thanks.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    There are a few things here - anyway how about a Pace Twin?

IT has SVId jack but more importantly - and I bet you never considered this!

IT CAN PASS RGB :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

In other words

DVD->Twin->TV!