• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview with mpeg4

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
There are several. Humax have a twin tuner one

Welcome to HUMAX [UK]

Also a single tuner one that works with your own HDD

Welcome to HUMAX [UK]

Tesco I believe sell one as well.

The tuner needs to be h264 (mpeg4) DVB-T2 for UK HD Freeview HD services

willie shaw

Thanks for that quick reply,I meant a sattelite freeview receiver with built in mpeg 4 decoder. i think the one you directed me to is terrestrial digital only. Perhaps im mistaken but appreciate being put right. willie

darkcloud2011

Thanks for that quick reply,I meant a sattelite freeview receiver with built in mpeg 4 decoder. i think the one you directed me to is terrestrial digital only. Perhaps im mistaken but appreciate being put right. willie

Can't blame the other poster though because for 1 thing freeview is a name for use by digital terrestrial television only.

Surley you mean freesat?

And for second you posted in the wrong section of the forum freesat threads go in the sat section of the forum. This section is for freeview only i.e. digital terrestrial television.

Gavtech

Administrator
I'd like to know why the question is being asked... because if the idea is to playback MPEG 4 material shifted to the hard disc - that is a different question altogether.

Just because a unit has an MPEG4 decoder does not mean it will be able to perform this function.

willie shaw

OK sorry on both counts, Ill restart on the sat section. But to clarify: Im in Ireland and our new Digital terrestrial service is MPEG4, so I want a box that will receive the terrestrial channels we have , plus receive the free to air satellite stations. If that box can also have a hard drive built in I can use to record, then that would complete the job for me.

Gavtech

Administrator
OK sorry on both counts, Ill restart on the sat section. But to clarify: Im in Ireland and our new Digital terrestrial service is MPEG4, so I want a box that will receive the terrestrial channels we have , plus receive the free to air satellite stations. If that box can also have a hard drive built in I can use to record, then that would complete the job for me.

Thanks for the clarification.

But there needs to be a greater refinement of objectives here.

If you are in the Rep. of Ireland the DVB standard being adopted there is MPEG 4 across DVB-T, whereas in Northern Ireland, the UK route [for HD only currently ] is being followed of MPEG4 across DVB-T2.
[ Edit - I note you are in the republic ]

Neither of these is applicable to satellite broadcasting... plus I doubt you will find a box that will receive both satellite and terrestrial [ ...although it looks like Graham may have found you one ] ... so you do need a clearer idea of what it is you are seeking.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

Many TV's Sony for example have mpeg4 HD DVB-T tuners these should work fine with your terrestrial HD service. Any pvr ready or pvr free to air satellite box will work record free to air transmissions. Technomate have a range of dual tuner pvr freeview and satellite pvrs. The 6902 has a HD terrestrial tuner.

High Definition satellite receivers. Technomate TM-6900 HD Combo satellite receivers. Big discounts

willie shaw

Many thanks again. The reason I am not utilizing a TV mpeg4 tuner is that im feeding the signal straight to an upscaler and then on to a PJ.
Just had a text from a friend telling me about a unit called and Edison Argus VIP , ( nothing to do with Argos the store) available in Germany and made in Germany. Did any one ever hear of it? however it does not have a built in hard drive.
I am in the rep of ireland, however I do not understand the diff between T and T2 ?

Gavtech

Administrator
I am in the rep of ireland, however I do not understand the diff between T and T2 ?

I don't think T2 is being applied in the republic... but T2 is a new transmission standard that is being used at present in the UK for HD transmissions only. [ and probably all transmissions eventually]

To receive these transmissions requires a T2 capable tuner. It requires new hardware - which became available only recently.
It cannot be achieved by software update.

T2 tuners are backwards compatible and will handle ordinary standard DVB-T transmissions also. [ 'T1' ]

As Ireland seems to be developing based on the T1 standard, I don't think you will require this sort of tuner.

adebig

Many thanks again. The reason I am not utilizing a TV mpeg4 tuner is that im feeding the signal straight to an upscaler and then on to a PJ.
Just had a text from a friend telling me about a unit called and Edison Argus VIP , ( nothing to do with Argos the store) available in Germany and made in Germany. Did any one ever hear of it? however it does not have a built in hard drive.

Is this the receiver you want ?

Edision Argus VIP2 HDTV - PVR Ready Combo DTT & Satellite Receiver

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom