Freeview with DVD Recorder help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BenW, Aug 19, 2005.

1. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Got an issue here, we have a philips tv with built in freeview tuner. It is totally integrated, all works off 1 remote etc.

We want to get a DVD Recorder. Obviously we'd like to be able to record the extra channels we get on freeview and record in digital quality.

So a few questions
    1) Is it possible to record from the integral freeview tuner?
    2) If so which connections do we need to use?
    3) Is there no way to record one channel and watch another?

Many Thanks
    Ben

2. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Can't comment on your particular TV but on my Sony iDTV (32nx200) it's easy.
    You can even control what signal is sent through each AV channel. If you're recording from the freeview tuner you can switch over and watch the analogue signal. Can you have freeview set to one channel and your analogue on another on your TV or is there only one tuner? For recording from Freeview, the TV can't be turned off though. If you need to, you put it into standby and the power light blinks slowly to show it's recording. All this is for VHS but DVD recording will be the same.
    Connections are just scart from TV (pref AV1 for best picture (assuming only AV1 is RGB enabled)) to recorder. Your recorder records the AV channel that it goes into the back of.
    hth

3. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks sjw

Yea, its got 2 tuners. 1 freeview and 1 analogue. At the moment if i set the vhs to record, it will record the analogue channel. Is this because of the VHS recorders age (about 8-10years) or because i need to tell it to put freeview out of scart 1?

I know in the setup menu theres a timer on it which is meant to output to vhs/dvd recorder (I think) but doesn't seem to work with our recorder

4. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I would say the latter. It should be in the manual.
    On mine you can select, for example, Ana TV, Digi TV, AV1, AV2, AV3 or AV4 to be output through AV3 (video scart).
    Now I think of it though, that's for AV3. That should be OK for VHS. For DVD rec you would want to go through RGB so I'm not too sure....

5. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hmmm, ok thanks. I'll have a look in the manual later