Freeview with an indoor aerial?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by edlomb, Mar 26, 2006.

1. edlomb

edlomb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I'll be taking delviery of a tv with inbuilt freeview receiver for my bedroom.

Extending our current aerial into the bedroom isn;t economical at the moment so was wondering if there was a half decent indoor aerial I could get.

At the moment we have sky (I don;t want to go for the multi room option) and terestrial. I get good reception terestrial wise even with cheapo wire indoors.

I live in South London and believe the signal should be good. The bedroom is basically a loft conversion so fairly high as well.

Any suggestions on indoor aerial?

Eddie

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    how about running a coax from sky rf out to it,if your sky box is connected to your outside aerial BOBS YOUR UNCLE,plus you can watch sky on it then get a magic eye sorted

3. edlomb

edlomb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought of running something from my current aerial but the problem is that the bedroom is upstairs and on the oposite side of the house. Which means I would have to run meter upon meter of cable across the house which isn;t an option :(

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    my sky box is connected to the aerial and yes it is a loop through,at the same time it allows me to watch analogue if i want to upstairs,it is also the link to the aerial for my freeview box also upstairs, it also broadcasts whatever the sky from down stairs is tuned to, i change channel via my digi sender,i get a better picture with the coax as the sender suffers from interferance. I know it works because it is how i have it set up, the reason i have freeview upstairs is if i want a movie downstairs, the wife can still watch any of the channels upstairs...so yes it does work.

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    I don't...you obviously don't (going by your rather curt answer) and a lot of enlightened Sky digibox owners don't...but the vast majority of Sky viewers do have their analogue aerial connected to their digibox as that's the way it was setup for them by Sky installers/themselves/friends.

6. gam3r

gam3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    should be fine, just buy a amplified indoor aerial for a tenner or so from argos or maplins

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    :thumbsup: jaycee.
    i connect mine just for back up if sky goes down,before sky plus:cool: if a video is connected you can also record sky and watch analogue and vice versa,but most important to me,if it is there it should work..
    PS i am fully aware i dont need it, but for the reasons i gave. it also means i can watch video from downstairs on upstairs TV. it is a great system

8. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Any aerial will work indoors but you have three problems:

It will get around 50% of the available signal because walls will attenuate it.

It is prone to picking up electrical interference from the house wiring (which Freeview hates).

It will be affected by the proximity of your body as you move around. In theory this won't bother Freeview if the signal is adequate.

9. Stokepotter

Stokepotter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An answer to your problem that springs to mind & one used by myself which enables me to view my cable, freeview & dvd player images in my bedroom is a video sender, I know this somewhat diminishes the use of your new tv's freeview facility but on the upside you will get none of the issues or problems listed previously, simply connect the sender downstairs, I use the AEI Digisender Gold which allows upto 4 inputs & then plug the receiver into your bedroom TV. You will then be able to view Sky in your bedroom complete with the facility to change channels so indeed your new TV's freeview facility will be somewhat redundant.