Freeview with 2 scarts

jtt1888

Established Member
Reaction score
if a freeview box has 2 scart sockets, is it possible to hook a dvd player up to one of the scarts and take another scart from the stb to a tv. The ones i've seen only seem to have vcr's hooked up to them.

Also can anyone recommend a stb with 2 scarts for around the £30 -£40 mark for use in the bedroom with a 42'' panel (not interested in recording or top up). i see various models going for peanuts on e*a*.

if a freeview box has 2 scart sockets, is it possible to hook a dvd player up to one of the scarts and take another scart from the stb to a tv. The ones i've seen only seem to have vcr's hooked up to them.

Also can anyone recommend a stb with 2 scarts for around the £30 -£40 mark for use in the bedroom with a 42'' panel (not interested in recording or top up). i see various models going for peanuts on e*a*.

I can't remember the last time I saw an STB with only one scart socket - almost all have two, to allow you to (in theory) watch it on TV and connect it to a VCR or DVDR. As you say, you can connect a DVD player to the VCR scart socket, and when you press play on the DVD the DVD signal will overwrite the Freeview signal and send this to the TV via the other scart socket on the STB. The same way that it does on Sky. Useful if your TV only has one scart input. I can't recommend any one STB in particular, because you would be hard pushed to find an STB (rather than a PVR) that cost more than £40 nowadays. I got a decent Onn (Asda brand) one for my mum last Christmas for about twenty quid that has two scarts on it, and that's never caused any problem. Probably about fifteen quid now. But there's many, many more. It's all down to how fancy you want the EPG to be.

Also, eBay can be mentioned without asterisks. It isn't a swear word.

Thanks Broadz
Good advice

Note that the second scart in most cases will only carry composite signal; some may carry S-Video, but not many.

Mate, to make things simpler for you and maybe give you a few more option ASDA do a Philips automatic 2 to 1 scart switcher for £9 though I cant vouch for its quality on a big screen as its hooked up to an old 20"panny tube in the front room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom