Freeview - what have I done wrong?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by The Huss, May 31, 2003.

1. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I live in a marginal area for terrestrial reception (trees etc) I borrowed a redundant on-digital pace receiver from a friend to check - before investing in something a little newer.

I followed the guidlines as per the freeview website (i.e took out old card) and retuned the box. It went through the retune process but all I am left with is BBC related channels (1,2,3,4, CBBC and some music (sound only) channles.

I can't get any of the commercial channels itv, C4, 5 music etc.

Have i missed something important out? Do I need to apply for a BBC card as I thought that was only for satellite receivers?

Having trawled a few threads something was mentioned about missing multiplexes that would involve lossing a number of channels - could this be the problem?

Any pointers....:confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    You do not need any type of card. If you have one, leave it out of the box.

DVT transmissions are grouped together in 'multiplexes'. Each multiplex carries several channels. To get all channels you have to be able to receive all of the multiplexes. Each multiplex is broadcast on a given frequency, taking up as much air-space as a single analog channel.

The symptoms you describe indicate that you are picking up only some of the multiplexes.

The most likely cause is an inadequate aerial. Your aerial needs to be of the right type to pick up the frequency correctly. It may be that your existing aerial is optimised for the analog frequencies in your area, and a combination of the wrong type of aerial, plus a weak signal, means that some of the multiplexes are not being received sufficiently well.

A wideband aerial may well solve the problem.

3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think the Freeview website is giving enough information here as alot of people seem to think that you need a viewing card..when i got my box i didnt even need to store channels as i allready have it all. It was into the tv with the scart then on the AV1 channel..easy :)

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Changing the RF output frequency as far away as possible from any conflicting frequencies may help even if you never use the RF output.

I know I lose certain multiplexes if I change my RF frequency to one close to a relevant multiplex. Also replace the RF lead with a better screened one as I'm positive the cheap ones that come with the box have a tendency to act as aerials and flood out more RF interference.

I just wish you could turn the damn RF stage off in the first place.

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you test your aerial system with a digital terrestrial receiver, all you can say is that such-and-such programmes can be received from your aerial system with that receiver. If you subsequently try a different receiver, the results can be different because it is more sensitive or less sensitive. It's usually obvious which is the case because you will know whether you are in a strong or weak signal area for Freeview.

Fman

6. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First rate advice many thanks indeed.

Looks like I need a visit from my local aerial guy as a starter, followed by a trawl through the freeview receiver pros and cons thread.

Having spoken to a few neighbours at a bbq last night it would appear that I do live in a marginal reception area despite website checks to the contrary. So it may not be the trees after all; but I'll leave that to mr aerial.

Hope it works as I don't want to have to pay sky just to see normal everyday channels.

thanks again

:smashin:

7. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    I have a signal booster which improved my analogue reception almost 10 fold yet when I use it with the Freeview box (MediaMaster) The quality drops and I can lose channels! Funnily enough, the channels I lose are ITV and Ch4. And these were the strongest of analogue one's...

Me think's Gremlins are at play....

8. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Huss, I'm almost certain a decent aerial (plus possibly a masthead amp) will solve your problem, as the Pace ondigital box is a good one. Do you know if it's the 730 or 735 (730 has a cover for where the card used to go, 735 just an open slot)? If it's the 735 you won't get a better box, not even the newest ones. I strongly suggest you make sure your aerial rigger is a good one - there are a lot of cowboys out there. It might be worth calling Reading Aerial Services to see if they'll cover your area - they did mine and they're excellent (at least their top guy, Phil, is).

9. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    If its the Pace 730 it doesn't cope well unless its a strong signal in my experience. My 730 suffers from breakup, dropping sound and glitches galore...while my Pioneer 210T is like a rock, no problems.

10. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has a cover - so it's the 730 I guess. That isn't such a problem as I was only using it to see if I could receive Freeview, prior to investing is something a little more up to date...

Thanks for the tip on RAS, I live in Surrey so they just might consider venturing along the M4. Always like to go with recommedations if I can...hence why this forum is so popular I suppose.

11. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a signal booster which improved my analogue reception almost 10 fold yet when I use it with the Freeview box (MediaMaster) The quality drops and I can lose channels! Funnily enough, the channels I lose are ITV and Ch4. And these were the strongest of analogue one's...

Me think's Gremlins are at play....

I'm not sure it is gremlins. I have exactly the same problem. Perhaps it is precisely because ITV & Ch4 were so strong that they have dis-appeared? I have heard that you need to be very careful with signal boosters when using them for Freeview as they can boost the signal too much.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The subject of amplifiers and boosters for freeveiw is odd the old analogue booster shouldn't help but some find they do!!!
    New digital compatable amplifiers should help (if the design has changed, not just the name) but not many around!!!

13. igp

igp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A number of people have said, correctly, that your aerial will need to be improved somewhat.

The reason you can get the BBC ones and not the ITV/SDN multiplexes is that BBC and Crown Castle changed the modulation to make the reception better, at the price of reduced capacity. However, ITV and SDN didn't, and your situation shows this up nicely.

ITV transmits in QAM-64, BBC/Crown Castle in QAM-16.