1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview - What Ae is necessary?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by jerooum, Oct 23, 2005.

1. jerooum

jerooum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a new Sony LCD with a digital tuner. I currently have a standard analogue aerial in my loft which produces a very good signal for the analogue channels. I understood that in my area I would need new rooftop aerial if I wanted to receive freeview. However, when I first installed my new set, it automatically searched for digital channels as well as the old analogue ones and I was surprised to find that it located several digital channels. After some research, I find that my old loft aerial is giving me:

1. Good sound and picture on all MUX 1 and MUX D channels.

2. It is detecting MUX C channels but only giving sound with no picture.

No other channels are shown.

I can have a digital rooftop ae installed to ensure I get all channels - but at a cost of £170! A much cheaper option is to install a digital aerial in the loft myself at about £30 and/or add an aerial booster for even less. This would work if my problem is that my current "Old" aerial just does not "see" the other channels on MUX A and MUX 2 etc etc.

Or is there more to the problem than this? Very grateful for any advice on whether I need to go "gold plated" on the roof or might get away with the cheaper loft option?

Many thanks

2. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Enter your Postcode HERE to find out what aerial you are likely to need and where it should be 'pointed'.

3. jerooum

jerooum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - I have been thro' this procedure and found my nearest tx and their bearings. But my basic question was - in view of the channels I have found so far with an old ae, do I need to go up on the roof for my digital ae or would locating it in the loft suffice?

4. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What aerial did Wolbane recommend?

If the recommended aerial is of the same group and polarity as that which you are currently using for your analogue reception (you can check what your analogue aerial should be HERE), there is a slim possibility that an amplifier might pull in more digital channels. However, amplifiers often just amplify noise as well and are a waste of money.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You spend well over a thousand pounds on a TV and you baulk at paying £170 for a decent source?

Think of it that way and get the aerial done properly!

6. jerooum

jerooum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks all

Martin - I do agree and am happy to go that way - if necessary. However, for example, if you want a new PC, it is often cheaper and more effective to build it yourself; I am also interested in the technology of digital and was hoping for advice, as to whether the reason I was only seeing MUX 1 channels was inherent in the design of the analogue ae or is just a lack of signal strength? So as a starter, I will go for Heinz' advice and see where that leads me.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It's probably a matter of UHF frequencies and aerial type. If you look here.....http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/transmitters.html for your region, and then transmitter, you will find what aerial type you need for optimal Freeview reception. If yours already is of this type, then, whilst a masthead amplifier may help, increased height and/or reeduced obstruction is always going to offer better results. If your aerial is of a different type, then your first step is to replace it . You may still need also to go outside with it. This much is true for ALL UHF signal reception, not just Freeview/digital.

8. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your existing aerial is probably a single band type. Freeview transmissions often spread over more than one band so a wide band aerial would be required, as in my case with Sandy Heath transmitter.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You could do it yourself, you could try a loft aerial - I researched it all myself and got a well rated local installer, especially as I would have to but a ladder ect