1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview vs Sky -- video quality?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Ian Maurice, May 28, 2003.

1. Ian Maurice

Ian Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given ideal reception and hardware, how does the quality of the televsion pictures on Freeview and Sky compare?

Which of the Freeview and Sky uses the most compression (MPEG2) of the video for the mainstream channels such as BBC, ITC C4 C5?

Does anyone know who decides on the bitrates of each channel --for example for BBC1, is it the BBC or Sky?

:confused:

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    In my experience the PQ of Freeview is better on all channels (esp ITV channels), except CH5 could slightly have the edge on Sky.

Rob.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I don't have DTT but I've lost count of the number of posts and articles that give the PQ award to that platform when compared to digital satellite.
    To be perfectly honest with the exception of Five the terrestrial broadcasters penny pinch on digital satellite bandwidth and seem to treat it as an inferior/secondary platfrom compared to DTT. I can understand that stance form ITV but never will understand why the BBC channels are not setting the standards for digital picture quality on satellite.

SKY do not set the bitrates for the BBC channels nor for ITV and CH4/Five on digital satellite, all of those companies purchase transponder capacity direct from the satellite owners and set their own bitrates.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for Freeview PQ. Sometimes they up the bitrate tremendously, sometimes they drop it tremendously. Overall, excellent however.

Starburst - Talking of BBC setting the standard for PQ, the best Freeview transmission I ever saw was Out of Sight on BBC1. I have no idea what the Sky PQ was like that night, but on Freeview I had to slap myself throughout to remind myself I wasn't watching the DVD. The PQ was that good. See here.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I've said the same thing about SKY's broadcast of SHREk in w/s with a DD5.1 soundtrack last christmas, it was simply the best digital satellite program picture wise I had ever seen.
    I'm all for High Def appearing in the UK but I'd settle for the current spec system being pushed to it's maximum performance, if that means the BBC leading the way via Freeview and their channels on digital satellite then I'll cheer them on and would except it as a reasonable use of the License fee.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Films broadcast on Sky Premier Widescreen usually look pretty good. Not quite DVD quality, but definitely approaching it. It makes things shown on lower bit-rate channels like The SciFi Channel rather painful by comparison. :(

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be overjoyed with DVD-quality broadcasts as the norm rather than the exception :)

I personally don't want HiDef though as it will make all my DVDs look cack and then I will have to upgrade everything :(